SCSI confusion

      14th Feb 2005
I am about to purchase a Quantum Certance DAT 72 Tape drive and would like
to know which SCSI card to use. The drive sped says it has an Ultra2 SCSI
LVD - 68 pin D-Sub (HD-68) interface.

I looked on the Adaptec web site but could not find any reference to Ultra2
SCSI LVD. I also emailed Adaptec but have not had a reply. Can anyone
advise which Adaptec card I need.

Thanks

philo

      15th Feb 2005
r wrote:
> I am about to purchase a Quantum Certance DAT 72 Tape drive and would like
> to know which SCSI card to use. The drive sped says it has an Ultra2 SCSI
> LVD - 68 pin D-Sub (HD-68) interface.
>
> I looked on the Adaptec web site but could not find any reference to Ultra2
> SCSI LVD. I also emailed Adaptec but have not had a reply. Can anyone
> advise which Adaptec card I need.
>
> Thanks

this looks like it will work
if your mobo is pci-x capable

Curious George

      15th Feb 2005
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:18:12 -0600, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>r wrote:
>> I am about to purchase a Quantum Certance DAT 72 Tape drive and would like
>> to know which SCSI card to use. The drive sped says it has an Ultra2 SCSI
>> LVD - 68 pin D-Sub (HD-68) interface.
>>
>> I looked on the Adaptec web site but could not find any reference to Ultra2
>> SCSI LVD. I also emailed Adaptec but have not had a reply. Can anyone
>> advise which Adaptec card I need.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>this looks like it will work
>if your mobo is pci-x capable

Clueless. 32/33 pci is fine

You need either a

AHA-2940U2W
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...ey=AHA-2940U2W

or any of the Ultra160 or 320 cards
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex

you could also get by with some of the older cards (depending on the
actual thruput of the drive & as long as you don't pick a HVD card
like the 2944UW) but you could come by a 2940U2W for like 20USD on
ebay.

A simple cheap lSI U160 controller, for example, is likely a safe
non-adaptec option for under 40USD delivered
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...C-pr1c3grabb3r

Curious George

      15th Feb 2005
To try to be a little clearer

any of the cards listed on the page below as "Ultra2 Family",
"Ultra160 Family", & "Ultra320 Family"
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex
would definitely work and connect at the highest speed/scsi protocol
the drive supports (Ultra2 LVD).

Some of the older cards on that page will work also but not in LVD
mode & may not be worth it as LVD cards need not be expensive.

Again the AHA-2940U2W is a damn good card. The AHA-3950U2 as well as
the Ultra 160 & 320 cards are overkill for just this drive but
absolutely fine.

K?

      15th Feb 2005
Thanks for your help