"Scripting.FileSystemObject" suddenly stopped working

Budget Programmer

      22nd Jan 2010
Hello,

I've had a macro in place for over a year and a half. It works fine weekly.
Suddenly, I get an error. I've made no changes to the environment (Vista 32
Home Premium, Excel 2007)

Under Tools / References I have checked:
- Visual Basic For Applications
- Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library
- OLE Automation
- Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library

These haven't changed.
Here's some of the pertanent lines from the code:

Sub CreateEditedSongListing()
'DECLARE VARIABLES
Dim objFSO As Object
Dim objFolder As Object

'Use Microsoft Scripting runtime.
Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strSongs_EditedPath)

End Sub

I get an error on the first SET statement. "Run-time error: '429' ActiveX
component can't create object."

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks for your help.
--
Programmer on Budget

Budget Programmer

      22nd Jan 2010
Steve,
Thanks for responding. That idea came to me as well after a little while.
However, it didn't fix the problem. Any idea where
"Scripting.FileSystemObject" resides? Maybe that file got corrupted somehow.
Phil
--
Programmer on Budget

"Steve Yandl" wrote:

> If you haven't done so already, power down the PC, restart and then try the
> routine again.
>
> I've had similar messages while creating new scripts or VBA routines. I
> suspect that if you fail to set the object to nothing at the end of the
> routine or if the routine is halted for some reason before reaching "Set
> objFolder = Nothing" the object still resides in memory, even after the
> workbook and/or Excel are shut down.
>

> Steve Yandl
>

> "Budget Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've had a macro in place for over a year and a half. It works fine
> > weekly.
> > Suddenly, I get an error. I've made no changes to the environment (Vista
> > 32
> > Home Premium, Excel 2007)
> >
> > Under Tools / References I have checked:
> > - Visual Basic For Applications
> > - Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library
> > - OLE Automation
> > - Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library
> >
> > These haven't changed.
> > Here's some of the pertanent lines from the code:
> >
> > Sub CreateEditedSongListing()
> > 'DECLARE VARIABLES
> > Dim objFSO As Object
> > Dim objFolder As Object
> >
> > 'Use Microsoft Scripting runtime.
> > Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> > Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strSongs_EditedPath)
> >
> > End Sub
> >
> > I get an error on the first SET statement. "Run-time error: '429'
> > ActiveX
> > component can't create object."
> >
> > Any idea what's going on?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > --
> > Programmer on Budget

> .

Budget Programmer

      23rd Jan 2010
Steve,
Somehow, that registration of that DLL got messed up.
Based on Peter T's suggestion I had to run
regsvr32 scrrun.dll
Since this is Vista, I had to run it as an Administrator.
That fixed the problem.
Thanks for your help.
Phil
--
Programmer on Budget

"Steve Yandl" wrote:

> Phil,
>
> The Scripting.FileSystemObject is part of the scripting runtime, scrrun.dll.
>

> Steve
>

> "Budget Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Steve,
> > Thanks for responding. That idea came to me as well after a little while.
> > However, it didn't fix the problem. Any idea where
> > "Scripting.FileSystemObject" resides? Maybe that file got corrupted
> > somehow.
> > Phil
> > --
> > Programmer on Budget
> >

> > "Steve Yandl" wrote:
> >
> >> If you haven't done so already, power down the PC, restart and then try
> >> the
> >> routine again.
> >>
> >> I've had similar messages while creating new scripts or VBA routines. I
> >> suspect that if you fail to set the object to nothing at the end of the
> >> routine or if the routine is halted for some reason before reaching "Set
> >> objFolder = Nothing" the object still resides in memory, even after the
> >> workbook and/or Excel are shut down.
> >>

> >> Steve Yandl
> >>

> >> "Budget Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> .
> >>

> .

New Member

      16th Aug 2012
Excel 2007 VB Script Run-time Error 429 when execute:
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").

Solution:
1. Check "My Documents" location it pointed.
2. Check Excel Option save location.
3. Run "regsvr32 scrrun.dll".

Reference:
http://forums.techguy.org/business-a...007-error.html
"Scripting.FileSystemObject" suddenly stopped working