Screensaver doesn't kick in

Qu0ll

      25th Apr 2008
This seems to be a problem that has been in Windows since at least Windows
2000. In my Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit system the screensaver doesn't always
kick in after the specified time. It's so unreliable that I had been
remembering to modify the number of minutes every time I was going away from
my laptop as this used to be a way of making it kick in. But even that
method is unreliable and these days it seems that about 9 times out 10 the
screen saver just doesn't function.

Is there any way to fix this?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(E-Mail Removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Rick Rogers

      25th Apr 2008
Hi,

The fix is to figure out what software you are running that is interfering
with it kicking on. I've never had any Windows machine (or linux for that
matter) that the screensaver did not work on. Start by disabling background
applications, especially AV, P2P, IM, and distributed computing programs.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Qu0ll" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This seems to be a problem that has been in Windows since at least Windows
> 2000. In my Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit system the screensaver doesn't
> always kick in after the specified time. It's so unreliable that I had
> been remembering to modify the number of minutes every time I was going
> away from my laptop as this used to be a way of making it kick in. But
> even that method is unreliable and these days it seems that about 9 times
> out 10 the screen saver just doesn't function.
>
> Is there any way to fix this?
>
> --
> And loving it,
>
> -Q
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

      25th Apr 2008
"Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> The fix is to figure out what software you are running that is interfering
> with it kicking on. I've never had any Windows machine (or linux for that
> matter) that the screensaver did not work on. Start by disabling
> background applications, especially AV, P2P, IM, and distributed computing
> programs.

Well I have never had a Windows machine of any flavour that had a
screensaver that worked ALL the time. My Linux machines have never had such
problems.

OK so I need to disable some background process... but what's the point of
disabling AV when everyone knows you cannot live without it? I don't use
any IM or P2P programs so what else could it be?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(E-Mail Removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Rick Rogers

      25th Apr 2008
Hi,

I just listed the most frequent causes, you're going to have to run the
gamut of software on your installation to figure it out. Look especially at
the autoloads section. Make sure you include any services they add as well,
not just the program.

I'm not suggesting you run without AV, but you do need to eliminate it as a
potential cause.