screen freezes before it reaches the login screen

Gareth

      3rd Jul 2004
Hi, When my son turns his pc on, it goes through the
motions on the first page [black background with lg XP in
the middle and the green line scaning from left to
right], then it switches to the blue background and the
XP in the middle. But, it then just freezes before you
get to the login page where you type your password. Any
offers please? MTIA, Gareth, UK.

Jim Hubbard

      3rd Jul 2004
sounds like a driver error....

have you tried logging in safe mode?

"Gareth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:25a6d01c460d9$52da6270$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, When my son turns his pc on, it goes through the
> motions on the first page [black background with lg XP in
> the middle and the green line scaning from left to
> right], then it switches to the blue background and the
> XP in the middle. But, it then just freezes before you
> get to the login page where you type your password. Any
> offers please? MTIA, Gareth, UK.

Kelly

      3rd Jul 2004
Suggestions:

How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
How to Use Clean Boot Troubleshooting for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q307545

How to Disable a Service that Prevents Windows XP from Booting
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q244/9/05.asp

Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to
Start Win XP

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Gareth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:25a6d01c460d9$52da6270$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, When my son turns his pc on, it goes through the
> motions on the first page [black background with lg XP in
> the middle and the green line scaning from left to
> right], then it switches to the blue background and the
> XP in the middle. But, it then just freezes before you
> get to the login page where you type your password. Any
> offers please? MTIA, Gareth, UK.

Gareth

      3rd Jul 2004
Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply, it's appreciated. I didn't have
the F8 option of starting it in save mode. So I tried
F10 for the system restore mode, and reloaded Windows XP
again. It worked :-). Thanks again. Gareth

Gareth

      3rd Jul 2004
Hi Kelly, I ended up pressing the F10 key 'system
restore' and re-installed Windows XP. Everything is
okay. No files lost. :-), Thanks for your help anyway.
Gareth

Kelly

      4th Jul 2004
Glad to hear all is well, Gareth. )

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

news:2556601c4613a$14e75980$(E-Mail Removed)...