scanpst.exe fails to repair file

Hurricane Andrew

      20th Mar 2007
I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her outlook.pst
file got corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on the file as it
sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server), as
well as copying the file to the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on it
there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which has
not yielded results either.

The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has occured
and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to the
original file.

The file is only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
truncate the file anyway since it's so small.

Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take? Outlook
would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved the corrupt pst to
another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the user is at least
able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her existing messages are
gone.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

socrtwo

      20th Mar 2007
On Mar 20, 11:26 am, "Hurricane Andrew"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her outlook.pstfilegot corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on thefileas it
> sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server), as
> well as copying thefileto the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on it
> there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which has
> not yielded results either.
>
> The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
> completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has occured
> and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to the
> originalfile.
>
> Thefileis only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
> truncate thefileanyway since it's so small.
>
> Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take? Outlook
> would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved thecorruptpst to
> another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the user is at least
> able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her existing messages are
> gone.
>
> --
> "Hurricane" Andrew
> Milford, DE

http://www.s2services.com/outlookfreeware.htm

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      20th Mar 2007
Why would you do this? You must know that placing PST files on network
drives is not supported, and that there is a good reason for it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Hurricane Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her outlook.pst
>file got corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on the file as
>it sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server),
>as well as copying the file to the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on
>it there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which
>has not yielded results either.
>
> The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
> completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has
> occured and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to
> the original file.
>
> The file is only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
> truncate the file anyway since it's so small.
>
> Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take?
> Outlook would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved the
> corrupt pst to another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the
> user is at least able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her
> existing messages are gone.
>
> --
> "Hurricane" Andrew
> Milford, DE

=?Utf-8?B?Sy4gT3JsYW5k?=

      21st Mar 2007
Outlook needs read/write access to the PST file. You shouldn't keep it on a
network drive since any interruption to the connection can corrupt the file.
Move the file back to the local machine, close Outlook and run the utility.
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Hurricane Andrew" wrote:

> I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her outlook.pst
> file got corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on the file as it
> sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server), as
> well as copying the file to the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on it
> there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which has
> not yielded results either.
>
> The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
> completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has occured
> and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to the
> original file.
>
> The file is only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
> truncate the file anyway since it's so small.
>
> Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take? Outlook
> would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved the corrupt pst to
> another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the user is at least
> able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her existing messages are
> gone.
>
> --
> "Hurricane" Andrew
> Milford, DE

Hurricane Andrew

      21st Mar 2007
I already had tried that, but scanpst still fails. I even double-checked
the file permissions just to be sure.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

"K. Orland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Outlook needs read/write access to the PST file. You shouldn't keep it on
> network drive since any interruption to the connection can corrupt the
> file.
> Move the file back to the local machine, close Outlook and run the
> utility.
> --
> Kathleen Orland
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>

> "Hurricane Andrew" wrote:
>
>> I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her
>> outlook.pst
>> file got corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on the file as
>> it
>> sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server),
>> as
>> well as copying the file to the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on
>> it
>> there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which
>> has
>> not yielded results either.
>>
>> The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
>> completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has
>> occured
>> and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to the
>> original file.
>>
>> The file is only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
>> truncate the file anyway since it's so small.
>>
>> Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take?
>> Outlook
>> would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved the corrupt pst
>> another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the user is at
>> least
>> able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her existing messages
>> are
>> gone.
>>
>> --
>> "Hurricane" Andrew
>> Milford, DE

Alan

      30th Mar 2007
Hi,

For your case, you may try our product Advanced Outlook Repair to
repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages,
folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook
PST files.

Please visit http://www.datanumen.com/aor/index.htm for detailed
information about Advanced Outlook Repair.

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Alan Chen
DataNumen, Inc. - World leader in data recovery technologies
Website: http://www.datanumen.com
Fax: +1-800-9917-FAX (US Toll-Free)