scanpst contacts problem

MHoffmeier

      7th Dec 2004
Several times a day I get the following message when accessing my contacts
folder.

Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in the file
c:blahblahblah\mypstfile.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then
use the Inbox Repair Tool.

I run scanpst.exe, it says there are no errors in my pst file. However, I
can then access my contacts. Later in the day, I have to do the same thing.

What in the world is going on?

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

      7th Dec 2004
How big is your .pst file? And what version of Outlook?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, MHoffmeier asked:

| Several times a day I get the following message when accessing my
| contacts folder.
|
| Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in the file
| c:blahblahblah\mypstfile.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications,
| and then use the Inbox Repair Tool.
|
| I run scanpst.exe, it says there are no errors in my pst file.
| However, I can then access my contacts. Later in the day, I have to
| do the same thing.
|
| What in the world is going on?

MHoffmeier

      7th Dec 2004
Holy Cow! my pst file is 111mb I checked for large attachments, but do not
see any
I use Outlook 2002 sp3

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> How big is your .pst file? And what version of Outlook?
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
>
> After furious head scratching, MHoffmeier asked:
>
> | Several times a day I get the following message when accessing my
> | contacts folder.
> |
> | Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in the file
> | c:blahblahblah\mypstfile.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications,
> | and then use the Inbox Repair Tool.
> |
> | I run scanpst.exe, it says there are no errors in my pst file.
> | However, I can then access my contacts. Later in the day, I have to
> | do the same thing.
> |
> | What in the world is going on?

Brian Tillman

      7th Dec 2004
MHoffmeier <mhoffmeier_spammenot_ok?@hargray.com> wrote:

> Holy Cow! my pst file is 111mb

That's quite small for a PST. Your PST can grow more than ten times larger
than that.

If I were in your shoes, I'd create a new PST, make it my delivery location,
then copy everything in the old PST to the new one.
--
Brian Tillman

MHoffmeier

      8th Dec 2004
I will try that, thanks
"Brian Tillman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MHoffmeier <mhoffmeier_spammenot_ok?@hargray.com> wrote:
>
>> Holy Cow! my pst file is 111mb

> That's quite small for a PST. Your PST can grow more than ten times
> larger than that.
>
> If I were in your shoes, I'd create a new PST, make it my delivery
> location, then copy everything in the old PST to the new one.
> --
> Brian Tillman

MHoffmeier

      10th Dec 2004
I tried that, and I'm back to the having to run scanpst several times a day.
I suppose that scanpst is fixing something, because outlook will work for a
while after I run it. Is there another utility that could correct whatever
is getting corrupted?

"Brian Tillman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MHoffmeier <mhoffmeier_spammenot_ok?@hargray.com> wrote:
>
>> Holy Cow! my pst file is 111mb

> That's quite small for a PST. Your PST can grow more than ten times
> larger than that.
>
> If I were in your shoes, I'd create a new PST, make it my delivery
> location, then copy everything in the old PST to the new one.
> --
> Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

      10th Dec 2004
MHoffmeier <mhoffmeier_spammenot_ok?@hargray.com> wrote:

> I tried that, and I'm back to the having to run scanpst several times
> a day. I suppose that scanpst is fixing something, because outlook
> will work for a while after I run it. Is there another utility that
> could correct whatever is getting corrupted?

No, but if I created a new PST, copied everything over to it from the
"broken" PST and, after a while, got the same problem, I'd do the following:

1) run a Detect and Repair
2) create a new mail profile
3) create another new PST

If that didn't work, I'd pray! <grin>