Scanned image too low resolution

Simon Wheway

      10th Sep 2009
Im using Digital Image Suite v11 (Aniversary Edition). If I scan using the
editor i can adjust the scanned image resolution fine, but you have to
invokle the scanner via file/import etc for each picture. So i tried the
wizard but I can find out how to adjust the resolution above the default
using Automatic Scan. If I use the manual option a) it doesnt use the
resolution I specify and b) it doesnt resize to the size of the photo.

Is it possible to increase the scanned resolution in the wizard and if not,
what software would you recommend to scan 100's of pictures in descent
quality and fast please?

Thanks
Simon

John Inzer

      10th Sep 2009
Simon Wheway wrote:
> Im using Digital Image Suite v11 (Aniversary Edition). If I scan
> using the editor i can adjust the scanned image resolution fine, but
> you have to invokle the scanner via file/import etc for each picture.
> So i tried the wizard but I can find out how to adjust the resolution
> above the default using Automatic Scan. If I use the manual option a)
> it doesnt use the resolution I specify and b) it doesnt resize to the
> size of the photo.
>
> Is it possible to increase the scanned resolution in the wizard and
> if not, what software would you recommend to scan 100's of pictures
> in descent quality and fast please?
>
> Thanks
> Simon

=====================================
You would have more control using Digital Image
but the XP Scanner Wizard does have a few options.

On the "Choose Scanning Preferences" screen...
left click the "Custom Settings" button and you
can increase the DPI to as much as 1200.
(300 or maybe 600 is all you really need for
scanning Color Prints. A higher DPI may be
useful when scanning B&W photos)

In the "Preview Pane" you can drag the corners of
the selection box to reduce the area it will scan and
then you can move it over the image to select any
portion you wish to isolate. Also...the selection box
can be nudged with your arrow keys.

If you stay in the Wizard...it will retain your DPI
setting for subsequent scans. After...a scan is
completed just click the 'Back' button and you
will be ready to scan another photo.

The following site has lots of info on scanning:

A Few Scanning Tips
http://www.scantips.com/

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP