SBAMSvc.exe problem

TRCSr

      13th Mar 2009
WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging my
CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open the
Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of the CPU
time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete it? I
Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same question,
but did not find any answers.

Thanks.

TRCSr

1PW

      13th Mar 2009
On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
> question, but did not find any answers.
>
> Thanks.
>
> TRCSr

Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
installed and running?

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

TRCSr

      13th Mar 2009
As far as I know I do not have Vipre. I don't even know what that program
is. I have Avanquest SystemSuite and that is all. This problem did seem to
start after I upgraded SystemSuite to Ver. 9. I cannot get any response from
Avanquest on this or other problems with their program. Is Vipre maybe
something of theirs?

Thanks

"1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gpcmtp$lo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
>> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
>> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
>> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
>> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
>> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
>> question, but did not find any answers.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> TRCSr

> Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
> installed and running?
>
> Pete
> --
> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

JS

      13th Mar 2009
Do you have an AV app named "CounterSpy"

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"TRCSr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uA$eeA$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As far as I know I do not have Vipre. I don't even know what that program
> is. I have Avanquest SystemSuite and that is all. This problem did seem to
> start after I upgraded SystemSuite to Ver. 9. I cannot get any response
> from Avanquest on this or other problems with their program. Is Vipre
> maybe something of theirs?
>
> Thanks
>
> "1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gpcmtp$lo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
>>> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
>>> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
>>> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
>>> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
>>> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
>>> question, but did not find any answers.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> TRCSr

>> Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
>> installed and running?
>>
>> Pete
>> --
>> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Twayne

      13th Mar 2009
1PW wrote:
> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
>> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe
>> hogging my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl
>> and if I open the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere
>> from 10% to 90% of the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program
>> is and if I can delete it? I Googled it and apparently there are a
>> lot of others with the same question, but did not find any answers.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> TRCSr

> Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
> installed and running?
>
> Pete

Here's what Bill P Stucios has to say about it:

So it either is, or was, installed from the look of it. "Safe" means
not known to be part of a malware load and the cpu max out is mentioend
too:
------------------
Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware - SBAMSVC.EXE

Sbamsvc.exe installs with Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware from Sunbelt
Software. Vipre is described by the author as follows: "Vipre combines
antivirus, antispyware, anti-rootkit, anti-malware and other security
technologies into a seamless, tightly-integrated security solution." It
is intended as a replacement for CounterSpy AntiSpyware. You'll find
more information at
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/.

If you use this program, you'll want to leave this file in place.
Sbamsvc.exe is the main scanning engine. Some users have complained that
this file uses up to 100% of their CPU resources. Sunbelt recommends
upgrading to the latest available version.

a.. Safe

Sunbelt Software
-----------------

HTH,

Twayne

TRCSr

      13th Mar 2009
I do not knowingly have the AV app "CounterSpy" and neither Vipre or that
program shows up in the Add/Remove programs list.

TRCSr

"JS" <@> wrote in message news:u2qPtU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have an AV app named "CounterSpy"
>
> --
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>

> "TRCSr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uA$eeA$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As far as I know I do not have Vipre. I don't even know what that program
>> is. I have Avanquest SystemSuite and that is all. This problem did seem
>> to start after I upgraded SystemSuite to Ver. 9. I cannot get any
>> response from Avanquest on this or other problems with their program. Is
>> Vipre maybe something of theirs?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gpcmtp$lo9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:

>>> Do you have Sunbelt Software's Vipre or any other of their products
>>> installed and running?
>>>
>>> Pete
>>> --
>>> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Jim

      13th Mar 2009

http://getsatisfaction.com/sunbeltso...pu_utilization

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:10:29 -0400, "TRCSr" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I do not knowingly have the AV app "CounterSpy" and neither Vipre or that
>program shows up in the Add/Remove programs list.
>
>TRCSr
>
>"JS" <@> wrote in message news:u2qPtU$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do you have an AV app named "CounterSpy"
>>
>> --
>> JS
>> http://www.pagestart.com
>>

>> "TRCSr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uA$eeA$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> As far as I know I do not have Vipre. I don't even know what that program
>>> is. I have Avanquest SystemSuite and that is all. This problem did seem
>>> to start after I upgraded SystemSuite to Ver. 9. I cannot get any
>>> response from Avanquest on this or other problems with their program. Is
>>> Vipre maybe something of theirs?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gpcmtp$lo9$(E-Mail Removed)...

1PW

      14th Mar 2009
On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
> question, but did not find any answers.
>
> Thanks.
>
> TRCSr

1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe

2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:

<http://www.virustotal.com/>

3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
report to this thread.

4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other software?

5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
market applications for you?

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

TRCSr

      14th Mar 2009

"1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gpetqv$fs5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
>> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
>> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
>> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
>> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
>> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
>> question, but did not find any answers.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> TRCSr

> 1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
> complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe
>
> 2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:
>
> <http://www.virustotal.com/>
>
> 3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
> report to this thread.
>
> 4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other
> software?
>
> 5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
> market applications for you?
>
> Pete
> --
> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Thank you for the suggestion/request. I have myself in quite a pickle at the
moment. Since the program was a part of the Vipre AV system, I thought that
if I loaded the Vipre program and then uninstalled it, it would solve the
problem. However, all that did was make things worse. The uninstall did not
work (it hung up about 3/4 the way through) so I tried a re-install and that
doesn't work because it is apparently looking for some files that it had
already removed. So, when I boot up it starts the install program and then
hangs because it can't find some files, I guess. Anyhow, while trying to do
anything else with the computer I keep getting interrupted with these Window
Installer windows (Preparing to Install) that pop up and I have to cancel
out. Each time that happens the installer windows pop up 3 or 4 times then
rests for a while, then come back, etc. Is there anyway to find out what is
being loaded at bootup that I can cancel out this mess?

Thanks.

TRCSr

      14th Mar 2009

"1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gpetqv$fs5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 03/12/2009 09:02 PM, TRCSr sent:
>> WinXP, SP3. I am having a problem with the program SBAMSvc.exe hogging
>> my CPU time. Periodically everything slows down to a crawl and if I open
>> the Task Manager I find this program taking anywhere from 10% to 90% of
>> the CPU time. Does anybody know what this program is and if I can delete
>> it? I Googled it and apparently there are a lot of others with the same
>> question, but did not find any answers.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> TRCSr

> 1) Do a search for, and then reply to this thread with the precise and
> complete pathname to SBAMSvc.exe
>
> 2) Please upload the SBAMSvc.exe file to:
>
> <http://www.virustotal.com/>
>
> 3) When Virus Total has rendered an analysis, please copy/paste the
> report to this thread.
>
> 4) Was your system pre-built and purchased with Windows and other
> software?
>
> 5) Would a prior owner/user/computer tech have installed any after
> market applications for you?
>
> Pete
> --
> 1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Sorry, I forgot to complete the answer to your questions. I purchased this
computer new with WinXP Home installed.