Saving a Word document into Excel

Greg

      23rd Jul 2003
Can I save a Word document into Excel? I have a report
in Word with valuable data, but I am not able to sort
through the data. My hope is to save the information
into an Excel format and filter and sort the data. Any
help on doing this would be appreciated. Thank you!

Rob Schneider

      23rd Jul 2003
Greg wrote:
> Can I save a Word document into Excel? I have a report
> in Word with valuable data, but I am not able to sort
> through the data. My hope is to save the information
> into an Excel format and filter and sort the data. Any
> help on doing this would be appreciated. Thank you!

Greg,

I'm not aware of a way to "save" Word document as an Excel file--but, ou
can easily use Windows "clipboard" to copy/paste text from Word document
into Excel spreadsheet.

I'm not sure the format of your Word data. So I suggest you do a few
experiments to get a feel for how it works.

Select a bunch of paragraphs in Word, copy ... then paste into Excel.
Each paragraph should go into an cell of it's own ( remember that there
are limits on how much text fits into an Excel cell).

Select a table in Word, copy ... then paste into Excel. Goes in as you
would expect ... each table cell goes into it's own Excel cell.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      23rd Jul 2003
Note also that if the data is already in a table, as Rob assumes, you may be
able to sort it in Word using Table | Sort. You can also sort text that is
not in a table using the same command, but the method is somewhat different.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Rob Schneider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greg wrote:
> > Can I save a Word document into Excel? I have a report
> > in Word with valuable data, but I am not able to sort
> > through the data. My hope is to save the information
> > into an Excel format and filter and sort the data. Any
> > help on doing this would be appreciated. Thank you!

> Greg,
>
> I'm not aware of a way to "save" Word document as an Excel file--but, ou
> can easily use Windows "clipboard" to copy/paste text from Word document
> into Excel spreadsheet.
>
> I'm not sure the format of your Word data. So I suggest you do a few
> experiments to get a feel for how it works.
>
> Select a bunch of paragraphs in Word, copy ... then paste into Excel.
> Each paragraph should go into an cell of it's own ( remember that there
> are limits on how much text fits into an Excel cell).
>
> Select a table in Word, copy ... then paste into Excel. Goes in as you
> would expect ... each table cell goes into it's own Excel cell.
>
> Hope this helps.

Rob Schneider

      23rd Jul 2003
Yes ... although what I wrote makes it appear this was my assumption
about the data being in a table, I didn't make that assumption.

My assumption for the 1st case was it was free form data and in
paragraphs. The second paragraph re data in a table was for the 2nd case
where the data is in a table. I considered to mention that one can sort
in a Word table, but I figured since that sorting capability is an
obvious feature of Word Tables (visble in the menus hence easily found)
was easier to go with the flow of Greg's need to use Excel to do the
data sorting.

I have to stop this early moring writing with a fuzzy brain!