saving power on 4g modem

emekadavid

      1st Aug 2012
is there a device, software or hardware, than can help me save on power for my 4g modem? it consumes a lot of power, especially on my batteries.
tnx

Paul

      1st Aug 2012
emekadavid wrote:
> is there a device, software or hardware, than can help me
> save on power for my 4g modem? it consumes a lot of power,
> especially on my batteries.
> tnx

Give the make and model number, so we can understand
the existing 4G device a bit better.

Paul

emekadavid

      1st Aug 2012
On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:34:41 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
> emekadavid wrote:
>
> > is there a device, software or hardware, than can help me

> > save on power for my 4g modem? it consumes a lot of power,

> > especially on my batteries.

> > tnx

> Give the make and model number, so we can understand
>
> the existing 4G device a bit better.
>

> Paul

Mediatek 4G modem. reseller is greenpacket. CM version: 3.2.2 firmware version: 3.7.7.2.

Paul

      1st Aug 2012
emekadavid wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:34:41 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
>> emekadavid wrote:
>>
>>> is there a device, software or hardware, than can help me
>>> save on power for my 4g modem? it consumes a lot of power,
>>> especially on my batteries.
>>> tnx

>> Give the make and model number, so we can understand
>>
>> the existing 4G device a bit better.
>>

>> Paul

> Mediatek 4G modem. reseller is greenpacket. CM version: 3.2.2 firmware version: 3.7.7.2.

So it's something from this site ?

http://www.greenpacket.com/devices.html

Paul

Flasherly

      1st Aug 2012
On Aug 1, 5:31 pm, emekadavid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:34:41 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
> > emekadavid wrote:

> > > is there a device, software or hardware, than can help me

> > > save on power for my 4g modem? it consumes a lot of power,

> > > especially on my batteries.

> > > tnx

> > Give the make and model number, so we can understand

> > the existing 4G device a bit better.

> > Paul

> Mediatek 4G modem. reseller is greenpacket. CM version: 3.2.2 firmware version: 3.7.7.2.

I like it already. . .(wiki quote start

"...the term "generation" used to name successive evolutions of radio
networks in general is arbitrary. There are several interpretations of
it, and no official definition despite the large consensus behind ITU-
R's labels. As you can read along this article, a comment is made
about the legitimate use of the term almost each time it is used. From
the point of view of ITU-R, 4G is equivalent to IMT-Advanced which has
specific performance requirements as explained below. But from the
point of view of operators, a generation of network refers to the
deployment of a new non-backward compatible technology. This usually
corresponds to a huge investment with its own depreciation period,
marketing strategy (if any), and deployment phases. It can even be
different among operators. From the end user point of view, only
performance makes sense. We expect that the next generation of network
performs better than the previous one which is not that simple to
state. Indeed while a new generation of network arrives, the previous
one keeps evolving to a point where it outperforms the first version
of the new generation. In many countries, GSM, UMTS and LTE networks
still coexist. It is thus much less ambiguous to use the name of the
technology/standard, possibly followed by its version number, than a
subjective arbitrary generation number which is destined to be
challenged endlessly. {-EQ}"

Then again I've always had modems that would double up for frying an
egg on top their case, from 9600baud, to include a veritable slew of
no-name, break-&-over-the-shoulder modems provided as a courtesy up
until my very last POT/VOIP ISP carrier. Whatever that means (cite:
see aforementioned). A 75ohm coax ISP carrier now provides over 1Meg,
possibly bits, to my POT carrier's 128Kbytes/per/sec;- aside
marketing, they're effectually no different bandwidths at precisely
the same throughput.

For me, it was strictly hit-and-miss on a modem when I picked up based
on positive reviews (I was tired of crap provided me that broke out of
darkroom boilers for technical support tactics). ActionTec is the
name, a popular mainland modem for the hordes of Chinese nationalists,
which never got hot and proved a conservative piece of engineering on
a low power, green footprint. I liked it so much, in fact, I bought
another and own two. Whereupon my POTs provider told me they were
cutting me off by raising a simple unlimited local-calls plan,
telephone line subscription fourfold, to twice the price of accepted
competitive internet connection conventions;- also, that they had
succeeded in back-pocketing the State regulatory commission into no
longer providing mandatory dry-sockets for small business providers
coming through their lines. To contest my options, I was informed,
they could provide at my discretion such forms as needed to sign-up on
Obama's relief subsidy provisions for the indigent.

I now pay for my telephony services, unlimited calls entailing
indeterminate time frame to both national cell and landlines, over
coax, solely through an internet site, at a cost charged to me for
$3.99 monthly;- I'd give you a number to call, but they'd want another
$3.99 actually to list me, if only in order to tell you best to grin
and bear it (if marketing, obviously, hasn't shifted an onus of
portable power within reasonable expectations you've in some sense
assumed upon delivery of their product).

Paul

      2nd Aug 2012
Paul wrote:
> emekadavid wrote:

>>> Give the make and model number, so we can understand
>>>
>>> the existing 4G device a bit better.
>>>

>>> Paul

>> Mediatek 4G modem. reseller is greenpacket. CM version: 3.2.2 firmware
>> version: 3.7.7.2.

> So it's something from this site ?
>
> http://www.greenpacket.com/devices.html
>
> Paul

After reading this article, my suspicion is, "unplug it" when you're
not using it, is how you'd save power. It's long distance, high bit
rates, uses DSP for processing, all contributors to a higher power
consumption.

http://eecatalog.com/4g/2010/10/19/l...tion-concerns/

The press release here, from MediaTek, implies their USB version
uses less power than their other products.

http://www.digitimes.com/backgrounde...ges=PR&seq=200

So if you had the box that stands upright like a tower, and has
a few different I/O connectors, that might use more power than
a dedicated USB dongle plugged right into your laptop or other
computer.

Paul

emekadavid

      2nd Aug 2012
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:14:24 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
> > emekadavid wrote:

> >> Mediatek 4G modem. reseller is greenpacket. CM version: 3.2.2 firmware

> >> version: 3.7.7.2.

> > So it's something from this site ?

> > http://www.greenpacket.com/devices.html

> > Paul

> After reading this article, my suspicion is, "unplug it" when you're
>
> not using it, is how you'd save power. It's long distance, high bit
>
> rates, uses DSP for processing, all contributors to a higher power
>
> consumption.
>

> http://eecatalog.com/4g/2010/10/19/l...tion-concerns/
>

> The press release here, from MediaTek, implies their USB version
>
> uses less power than their other products.
>

> http://www.digitimes.com/backgrounde...ges=PR&seq=200
>

> So if you had the box that stands upright like a tower, and has
>
> a few different I/O connectors, that might use more power than
>
> a dedicated USB dongle plugged right into your laptop or other
>
> computer.
>

> Paul

thanks. nice day