Save as .wmf file

Sylvain

      14th Nov 2004
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a freeware to convert / save as... pictures into a .wmf
file.

Any idea to help me ?

Thanks

--
Sylvain

      14th Nov 2004
"Sylvain" <adresse.inv@lide> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> I'm looking for a freeware to convert / save as... pictures into a .wmf
> file.

Normally can't be done. Pictures (jpg, gif, etc) are bitmaps whereas wmf
files are vector files. (It would take too long to explain, but there are
probably online tutorials.) It's possible to convert wmf files to pictures
but not the other way.

Sylvain

      14th Nov 2004
Thanks M,
I know these points but it's possible the way jpg. ou .gif > .wmf too.
Paint Shop Pro does it without problem.
But I'm looking for a free program.

Here is why :
Megamaps is an educationnal prog to create large maps of usa (up to 8x8
A4 >64 pages !)
It uses a file named usa1.wmf.
If you replace this file by any other one (like a picture),... is just
works as fine )))
Fantastic !
You just need to convert your .jpg file into the waited usa1.wmf

As PSP isn't freeware, I need a prog that I can install in some
schools...

Kind regards

> Normally can't be done. Pictures (jpg, gif, etc) are bitmaps whereas wmf
> files are vector files. (It would take too long to explain, but there are
> probably online tutorials.) It's possible to convert wmf files to pictures
> but not the other way.

Sylvain

      15th Nov 2004
> Thanks M,
> I know these points but it's possible the way jpg. ou .gif > .wmf too.
> It uses a file named usa1.wmf.
> If you replace this file by any other one (like a picture),... is just
> works as fine )))

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can just RENAME a bitmap file with a
WMF extension and it will work?
I am aware of commercial programs that can do it but the results aren't
pretty. No freeware ones that I know of.

Le Loup

      15th Nov 2004
<<M>> a émis l'idée suivante :
> Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can just RENAME a bitmap file with a
> WMF extension and it will work?
> I am aware of commercial programs that can do it but the results aren't
> pretty. No freeware ones that I know of.

I think he wants a "vectorizer", a freeware that can analyse a bitmap
pic and convert it (more or less) to vector pic...
I already saw that once... but where ? The result was quite good with
"simple" pics (cliparts with 8 or 16 colors) and totally messy with
photos :-)

Cordialement,
Hervé LOTH

--
LE LOUP THEATRE
www.lelouptheatre.tk

wald

      15th Nov 2004
Le Loup <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think he wants a "vectorizer", a freeware that can analyse a
> bitmap pic and convert it (more or less) to vector pic...
> I already saw that once... but where ? The result was quite good
> with "simple" pics (cliparts with 8 or 16 colors) and totally
> messy with photos :-)

Stole this from an post of mine earlier this month:

> There's a bunch of open source projects relating to bitmap-vector
> conversion:
>
> http://delineate.sourceforge.net/
> http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
> http://potrace.sourceforge.net/
>
> I can also warmly suggest Inkscape (http://inkscape.org), which
> has a bitmap tracing feature built-in, based on poTrace.

Regards,
Wald

      15th Nov 2004
I know my commercial package has the capability to convert bitmaps to
vectors but I haven't played with it extensively. Might take a look at these
open-source ones. . .