save as text (tabbed) has extra quotes

minniemouse

      15th Sep 2004
hi, i am on a mac (OSX). when i save as text (tab delimited) and then
view the .txt file in BBedit, some of the text mysteriously comes u
with quotation marks around it. (and only some). I then have to delet
them all in bbedit and resave. this is a pain. The commas interfer
with the databases that these files get read into.

These quotes do not show in excel and i have tried clearing formats o
the afflicted cells, trying to find any weird preference that may b
set but i cant find anything.

does anyone know why this happens and how to keep it from happening?

thanks for any help.
Li

Dave Peterson

      16th Sep 2004
Maybe you could write your own macro to do exactly what you want:

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/Text...%20Program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

(You may be happy with Earl's version--right out of the box!)

"minniemouse <" wrote:

> hi, i am on a mac (OSX). when i save as text (tab delimited) and then i
> view the .txt file in BBedit, some of the text mysteriously comes up
> with quotation marks around it. (and only some). I then have to delete
> them all in bbedit and resave. this is a pain. The commas interfere
> with the databases that these files get read into.
>
> These quotes do not show in excel and i have tried clearing formats on
> the afflicted cells, trying to find any weird preference that may be
> set but i cant find anything.
>
> does anyone know why this happens and how to keep it from happening?
>
> thanks for any help.
> Liz
>
> ---

Dave Peterson