PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Save hardware drivers

 
 
Chris K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010
Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon 1650
SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard

I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the
former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now for
future install - the driver details document all the driver files &
locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right
folder?

It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct
install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software install which i dont
want on my machine

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shenan Stanley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010
Chris K wrote:
> Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my
> Radeon 1650 SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000
> keyboard
> I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete
> (particularly the former) so I was wondering whether it's possible
> to save the drivers now for future install - the driver details
> document all the driver files & locations but not sure how to
> re-install - just drop them in the right folder?
>
> It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either
> direct install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software
> install which i dont want on my machine


If the drivers become obsolete - it's time to move on - really. Since you
can still download Windows 98 drivers from many manufacturer's web pages.

Or is that the real issue here - you are not going to the manufacturer's web
page for each hardware device to download the proper and latest drivers for
your hardware?

Did you visit here:
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx
... for the ATI video card drivers?
If so - did you then click on:
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...nload%20Detail
("All Graphics - Desktop")??
Then select your video card and OS combination using the pull-down menus?

I would greatly suspect that through 2014+ - you will be able to do this.

However - if you had done this - then you would have saved the file relevant
to your OS already and known that once you saved that file - you had to run
it to install it. So - logic says that if you save the downloaded file to
some external media - you can keep it for as long as the media can be
read/used.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010


"Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris K wrote:
>> Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my
>> Radeon 1650 SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000
>> keyboard
>> I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete
>> (particularly the former) so I was wondering whether it's possible
>> to save the drivers now for future install - the driver details
>> document all the driver files & locations but not sure how to
>> re-install - just drop them in the right folder?
>>
>> It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either
>> direct install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software
>> install which i dont want on my machine

>
> If the drivers become obsolete - it's time to move on - really. Since you
> can still download Windows 98 drivers from many manufacturer's web pages.
>
> Or is that the real issue here - you are not going to the manufacturer's
> web page for each hardware device to download the proper and latest
> drivers for your hardware?
>
> Did you visit here:
> http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx
> ... for the ATI video card drivers?
> If so - did you then click on:
> http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...nload%20Detail
> ("All Graphics - Desktop")??
> Then select your video card and OS combination using the pull-down menus?
>


Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just confirmed
my earlier statement - the install is 500 million gygabytes big, installs
load software i dont need/want (porn sites, trojans etc) - seems to be some
sort of download manager, prolly to make sure my PC is always kept up to
date with latest viruses - but this is a first - after all that, it
contained *no* video drivers (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still
is after install - god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) -
obviously i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will
continue infest my OS for ever more

I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's already
installed - a new video card maybe

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shenan Stanley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010
Chris K wrote:
> Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just
> confirmed my earlier statement - the install is 500 million
> gygabytes big, installs load software i dont need/want (porn sites,
> trojans etc) - seems to be some sort of download manager, prolly to
> make sure my PC is always kept up to date with latest viruses - but
> this is a first - after all that, it contained *no* video drivers
> (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still is after install -
> god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) - obviously
> i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will
> continue infest my OS for ever more
> I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's
> already installed - a new video card maybe


The answer is, "Yes, you can save your drivers; but you have to actually
download them."

The thing you need to realize is that you probably have some generic driver
installed by Windows Vista or one that ATI gave to Microsoft (actually
probably paid Microsoft to take) who knows how many versions ago (the latest
version should always be gotten from the manufacturer of the hardware
device) to put on the Windows/Microsoft updates web page/functionality.

You should *always* get your driver from the manufacturer. If you got the
driver another way - including downloading from Microsoft - there's a
possibility it is not the latest/most stable/best performing version.
Also - Microsoft does not manufacture or directly support your hardware
(other than maybe a keyboard/mouse/some other small peripherals.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010


"Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris K wrote:
>> Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just
>> confirmed my earlier statement - the install is 500 million
>> gygabytes big, installs load software i dont need/want (porn sites,
>> trojans etc) - seems to be some sort of download manager, prolly to
>> make sure my PC is always kept up to date with latest viruses - but
>> this is a first - after all that, it contained *no* video drivers
>> (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still is after install -
>> god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) - obviously
>> i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will
>> continue infest my OS for ever more
>> I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's
>> already installed - a new video card maybe

>
> The answer is, "Yes, you can save your drivers; but you have to actually
> download them."


Actually meant save a driver that's already installed

>
> The thing you need to realize is that you probably have some generic
> driver installed by Windows Vista or one that ATI gave to Microsoft


Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen was crap) -
i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for quite long time it
downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years old


> You should *always* get your driver from the manufacturer.



As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too old and not
supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be nice to save it while
I've got a driver *at all*


 
Reply With Quote
 
Shenan Stanley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010
<snipped>

<entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
</entire conversation - archived indefinitely>


Chris K wrote:
> Actually meant save a driver that's already installed
>
> Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen
> was crap) - i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for
> quite long time it downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years
> old
> As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too
> old and not supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be
> nice to save it while I've got a driver *at all*


You didn't actually download/install the driver - Windows Vista found one in
the Microsoft Updates database and installed it - probably a few versions
behind the latest, so may not be as high-performing/as stable. So no - you
cannot save that - and you probably would be better off replacing it from
the actual manufacturer's web page (for the video card anyway - maybe they
keep their own hardware drivers up to date in Microsoft updates... Maybe...)

So, yeah - maybe _you_ cannot get the driver via the link I gave (yet - I am
about to teach you how), but as for it "not happening"; here is the download
links for the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as
you listed gotten to via the link I gave you earlier:

32-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

.... and for the 64-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/28md5ox
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

Why the tinyurl versions of the links? The longer URLs even included
spaces - makes them more difficult to post, sometimes other newsreaders will
cut them off, etc; but it makes some feel better, so...

32-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition

64-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition

See what I mean? Now you can save them.

The 64-bit version is dated 2/23ish/2010 and the 32-bit version is dated the
same. Although they are end-of-life products - the cances of AMD (who
aquired ATI) getting them off their web pages until Windows Vista is no
longer supported by Microsoft is slim. AMD does say they will not be
producing Windows 7 drivers for them though.

I'll walk you through it so you might learn something from all this and use
it to get other drivers in the future.

I gave you this link first: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx

Under the "Graphics - Desktop" heading, the last in that list is "All
Graphics - Desktop" and you click on that which takes you here:
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...nload%20Detail

There you select "Graphics Cards - Desktop", "Radeon X1650 series" and
choose an operating system ("Windows Vista - 32-bit Edition" or "Windows
Vista - 64-bit Edition" in your case, given what you have.) and click on
"View Results". That will reload the web page with the appropriate link
(see above) and I think (hope) you can get to it from there.


You said you had the Radeon 1650 SE video card and M/Soft digital media 3000
keyboard...

Let's round that off with the other driver you could not find so far for
individual download...


Visiting here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/

Gets me to here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK

Where I select "Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista
(32-bit only)", "English (US)" and click on "Go". It takes me to a link
that has THIS link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7.10.344.0.exe
Which is "IntelliType Pro 7.1 32-bit for Windows Vista"...

If I change it up a bit and on the "Gets me to here" page I select
"Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista (64-bit only)",
"English (US)" and click on "Go" - that takes me to a page with this link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7.10.344.0.exe
Which is the "IntelliType Pro 7.1 64-bit for Windows Vista"...


Come back - let everyone know if that helped. As you can see from the first
part of this response - the conversation will be here long after the last
posting. It might be good if someone came across it and got the help they
needed from it - but they might trust it more if you came back at the end
and said if it worked for you or not...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Drew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Aug 2010
I found drivers for the ati 1650 for xp vista and windows 7 32 and 64bit in
about 5 seconds

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20X1650&By=ATI


"Chris K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w_b7o.60253$bo3.32087@hurricane...
> Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon
> 1650
> SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard
>
> I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the
> former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now
> for
> future install - the driver details document all the driver files &
> locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right
> folder?
>
> It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct
> install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software install which i dont
> want on my machine


 
Reply With Quote
 
Shenan Stanley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Aug 2010
<snipped>

<entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
</entire conversation - archived indefinitely>

Drew wrote:
> I found drivers for the ati 1650 for xp vista and windows 7 32 and
> 64bit in about 5 seconds
>
> http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20X1650&By=ATI


And it is *still* wiser to get the drivers direct from the manufacturer when
you can. And in this conversation is the way to do this in excruciating
detail.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Aug 2010


"Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snipped>
>
> <entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
> </entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
>


>but as for it "not happening"; here is the download links for the 32-bit
>and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as you listed gotten
>to via the link I gave you earlier:
>
> 32-bit Windows Vista:
> http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
> (just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
> full Catalyst software suite...)
>


that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut down WDM
Integrated Drive) & uninstalled

it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager - uses
acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver - in fact it
makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file once installed -
presumably just runs in the background consuming processing time until it
feels like downloading some virus or uploading my bank details - i just want
the driver (no software) - but as already said - 99% of drivers now come
'wrapped up' in load software and this is no exception - well except that it
didn't even have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i download at
least come with the driver i want




 
Reply With Quote
 
GSalisbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Aug 2010

"Chris K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EAz7o.39484$7Z3.39184@hurricane...
>
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <snipped>
>>
>> <entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
>> </entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
>>

>
>>but as for it "not happening"; here is the download links for the 32-bit
>>and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as you listed gotten
>>to via the link I gave you earlier:
>>
>> 32-bit Windows Vista:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
>> (just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
>> full Catalyst software suite...)
>>

>
> that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut down WDM
> Integrated Drive) & uninstalled
>
> it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager - uses
> acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver - in fact it
> makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file once installed -
> presumably just runs in the background consuming processing time until it
> feels like downloading some virus or uploading my bank details - i just
> want the driver (no software) - but as already said - 99% of drivers now
> come 'wrapped up' in load software and this is no exception - well except
> that it didn't even have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i
> download at least come with the driver i want
>
>
>
>


Not meaning to step on anyone's toes but...
I put "Save Installed Drivers for Vista 64" into a google search (remember
our friend?) and the 1st hit was

BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Isn't that what you're looking for?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Save hardware drivers Chris K Windows Vista General Discussion 17 10th Aug 2010 12:45 PM
Save hardware drivers Chris K Windows Vista Hardware 16 9th Aug 2010 02:05 PM
alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned JohnNews Computer Hardware 2 9th Aug 2004 03:14 AM
intel.microprocessors.pentium, comp.sys.intel, comp.hardware, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, alt.comp.mainboards.abit J Higbee DIY PC 3 24th Jun 2004 04:03 PM
remove drivers (hardware from hardware manager) of already(physically) removed devices. eNTi Windows XP Hardware 1 31st Mar 2004 02:41 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:02 PM.