Sata drives - Dual Boot

RCPOLK

      3rd Jun 2008
I would like to put Windows XP Home on one drive (Sata #1) and Vista x64 on
sata drive #2.
The pata drive has my CD/DVD drive. Four sata connectors and one IDE.
JUst built the machine so there is nothing on the drives yet.

How would I configure a dual boot.
Would be thankful for any advice.
Bob

Andrew E.

      4th Jun 2008
Read kb306559

"RCPOLK" wrote:

> I would like to put Windows XP Home on one drive (Sata #1) and Vista x64 on
> sata drive #2.
> The pata drive has my CD/DVD drive. Four sata connectors and one IDE.
> JUst built the machine so there is nothing on the drives yet.
>
> How would I configure a dual boot.
> Would be thankful for any advice.
> Bob

Timothy Daniels

      4th Jun 2008
"RCPOLK" wrote:
>I would like to put Windows XP Home on one drive (Sata #1)
> and Vista x64 on sata drive #2.
> The pata drive has my CD/DVD drive. Four sata connectors
> and one IDE. JUst built the machine so there is nothing on the
> drives yet.
>
> How would I configure a dual boot.
> Would be thankful for any advice.
> Bob

Read: http://www.aiscl.co.uk/dualbootvista.php
and read this if you don't trust yourself with command lines:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...creenshots.htm
Be aware that the normal dual-booting between Vista and XP will
cause their Restore Point files to interfere. There are ways around
this, the easiest way is to just accept it and compensate with regular
and frequent backups.

*TimDaniels*

Ed Covney

      5th Jun 2008
You could also do it through your BIOS. Install XP
on the S1 drive when S2's drive is disconnected, then
install Vista on S2's drive when S1 is disconnected.

Now connect both drives and in BIOS select the drive
you'd like to boot to. (S1 or S2's drive). Never a
problem although it does take a little longer to re-boot
to the other OS.

Ed

"RCPOLK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to put Windows XP Home on one drive (Sata #1) and Vista x64 on
>sata drive #2.
> The pata drive has my CD/DVD drive. Four sata connectors and one IDE.
> JUst built the machine so there is nothing on the drives yet.
>
> How would I configure a dual boot.
> Would be thankful for any advice.
> Bob

Missing Link

      6th Jun 2008
Further to Ed's reply on my motherboard I can press F12 on boot which
produces a menu which allows me to choose which drive to start from. This
means I do not have to switch things around in the BIOS. The advantage is
that it will always boot to the default when I want it to.