Samsung ML-1710...Why all the disagreement?

mpsan

      16th Mar 2004
Hello ALL:

I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
"only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi. Also,
the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.

Some love this printer and others say it is very bad...can't even read
text!

Some say that paper curls so much going thru it that printing on 2
sides does not work. Others say "dude...stop using cheap paper"

I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
and free of paper jams?

Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way the
Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+ year
old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.

TIA, for any help

Tom Scales

      16th Mar 2004
I have one and am very pleased with it. Let's face it, it doesn't cost much
more than a cartridge!

It's not fancy, but it works fine for my home office. Haven't tried to print
double sided, but I use decent paper and it doesn't curl at all, so it
should be fine. I have mine on a Linksys wireless printer server, so it is
convenient for the whole family.

Tom
"mpsan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello ALL:
>
> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
> an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.
>
> I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
> Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
> "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi. Also,
> the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.
>
> Some love this printer and others say it is very bad...can't even read
> text!
>
> Some say that paper curls so much going thru it that printing on 2
> sides does not work. Others say "dude...stop using cheap paper"
>
> I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
> and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
> and free of paper jams?
>
> Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way the
> Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+ year
> old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.
>
> TIA, for any help

Lucas Tam

      17th Mar 2004
(E-Mail Removed) (mpsan) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
> an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

At this price ... you can't complain!

> I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi

600dpi is more than enough.

I miss my trusty HP 6L Printer I gave my younger brother. That was a trusty
laser printer.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

MPSAN

      17th Mar 2004
Thanks everyone. It does sound good.

Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> (E-Mail Removed) (mpsan) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now
>> have an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

> At this price ... you can't complain!
>
>> I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is "only" 600dpi and not 1200
>> dpi

> 600dpi is more than enough.
>
> I miss my trusty HP 6L Printer I gave my younger brother. That was a
> trusty laser printer.

MPSAN

      17th Mar 2004
Thanks Tom. Are you using a USB server then? I have a parallel server so
the ML-1710 will not work on it!

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have one and am very pleased with it. Let's face it, it doesn't cost
> much more than a cartridge!
>
> It's not fancy, but it works fine for my home office. Haven't tried to
> print double sided, but I use decent paper and it doesn't curl at all,
> so it should be fine. I have mine on a Linksys wireless printer
> server, so it is convenient for the whole family.
>
> Tom
> "mpsan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello ALL:
>>
>> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now
>> have an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.
>>
>> I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
>> Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
>> "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi.
>> Also, the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.
>>
>> Some love this printer and others say it is very bad...can't even
>> read text!
>>
>> Some say that paper curls so much going thru it that printing on 2
>> sides does not work. Others say "dude...stop using cheap paper"
>>
>> I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
>> and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
>> and free of paper jams?
>>
>> Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way
>> the Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+
>> year old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.
>>
>> TIA, for any help

Don Perley

      17th Mar 2004
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:54:17 -0500, MPSAN wrote:

>>> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
>>> an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

>> At this price ... you can't complain!

One downside is that the $79 is after big rebates so you have to shell
out $200 now and get the rest back maybe in a couple of months.

If it is reliable then by the time the rebate check comes it would pay for
itself compared to what ink costs for my old canon inkjet.

Brendan R. Wehrung

      17th Mar 2004
mpsan ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> Hello ALL:
>
> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
> an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.
>
> I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
> Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
> "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi. Also,
> the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.

Just print a text print once a week. My Z52 was banding today because I
hadn't used it in a week, but a quick dab with a damp cloth and a test
print cleared everything up pronto.

Brendan

> Some love this printer and others say it is very bad...can't even read
> text!
>
> Some say that paper curls so much going thru it that printing on 2
> sides does not work. Others say "dude...stop using cheap paper"
>
> I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
> and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
> and free of paper jams?
>
> Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way the
> Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+ year
> old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.
>
> TIA, for any help

Tom Scales

      17th Mar 2004
Yes, I'm using the Linksys WPS54GU2 print server. It supports two printers,
one USB and one Parallel (handy, since I also have an Epson inkjet). The
only thing I have discovered is that the WPS54GU2 will work either wired or
wireless. When I try to run it wired, it seems to 'forget' that the ML1710
is attached after about 15 minutes. When I run it wireless, it works
flawlessly. Seems silly to run it wirelessly, since it is sitting two feet
from the router, but, hey, it works!

> Thanks Tom. Are you using a USB server then? I have a parallel server so
> the ML-1710 will not work on it!
>
> "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have one and am very pleased with it. Let's face it, it doesn't cost
> > much more than a cartridge!
> >
> > It's not fancy, but it works fine for my home office. Haven't tried to
> > print double sided, but I use decent paper and it doesn't curl at all,
> > so it should be fine. I have mine on a Linksys wireless printer
> > server, so it is convenient for the whole family.
> >
> > Tom
> > "mpsan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello ALL:
> >>
> >> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now
> >> have an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.
> >>
> >> I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
> >> Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
> >> "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi.
> >> Also, the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.
> >>
> >> Some love this printer and others say it is very bad...can't even
> >> read text!
> >>
> >> Some say that paper curls so much going thru it that printing on 2
> >> sides does not work. Others say "dude...stop using cheap paper"
> >>
> >> I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
> >> and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
> >> and free of paper jams?
> >>
> >> Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way
> >> the Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+
> >> year old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.
> >>
> >> TIA, for any help

mpsan

      17th Mar 2004
Well, BestBuy has it as one $120 rebate.

Don Perley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >> At this price ... you can't complain!

> One downside is that the $79 is after big rebates so you have to shell
> out $200 now and get the rest back maybe in a couple of months.
>
> If it is reliable then by the time the rebate check comes it would pay for
> itself compared to what ink costs for my old canon inkjet.

mpsan

      17th Mar 2004
It seems strange. Have you asked them what is wrong? I do not have
wireless. I ran cat5e everywhere. :-)