PC Review

How safe is E-Bay/Paypal?

sugar 'n spikes

16th Apr 2009
Alright, I'm going to sleep on this.

I'm basically undecided between just cancelling the sale and all the other facets of that action or finding out if the buyer is willing to pay a little more for me to send the goods via a trackable courier.

Maybe even the method I've chosen to send the goods has a tracking system, I shall have to find out.

The thing that's worrying me the most is if I can stop the transfer of funds from Paypal to my Bank account in time.

Because if the money gets there and I have to transfer it back to Paypal, it takes almost two weeks to transfer cash to Paypal from my bank account. I know this as on April 2nd I sent fifteen quid from my bank account to Paypal to cover fees. It took til yesterday for them to clear.

Funny thing is I didn't actually need to do that as I've sold enough stuff now to cover fees.

I am honestly not impressed with the whole setup to be honest.

But they do seem to have something of a Monopoly.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Rocket Scientist

16th Apr 2009
I think a refund can work instantly, if you transfer it manually then you'll get charged fees - but there should be a refund option in the transaction details if you log in (if it's still the same as when I last did it ).

Member Extraordinaire

16th Apr 2009
Yep your right there flopp's ebay do seem to hold all the cards when it comes to paypal..

Thing is Paypal is normally a safe and secure system for transactions and money transfers, yes its expensive to use with all there fees but for the most part its reasonably safe for the average user out there..

Unfortunately there will always be tykes and scammers that know the loopholes in the system and exploit it accordingly, the old send it without tracking trick is a peach and is used by scammers all over the world, thats probably why they asked you if you were sending it with trackability, knowing if you weren't they would have the goods and could then go through Paypal for a refund and get it too, as you wouldn't be able to provide proof and they would favour the buyer..Its an old trick but one which Paypal still does nothing to curb..

You sleep on it mate..I'm sure you'll have a clear head in the morning to make whatever decision you think best..

"Ironic, isn't it Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you." -- Mr. Burns

sugar 'n spikes

17th Apr 2009
I phoned ParcelForce and the postal service the buyer chose does not include tracking. Furthermore no delivery time is guaranteed and delivery could take from five days to thirty days.

To send the parcel with door to door tracking two services are offered, the first 1 - 2 days and the second 2 - 3 days. They cost £83.29 and £129.22 respectively and that's without me adding a bit to cover the Paypal fees.

Which in my mind makes it uneconomical to send and would also suggest a potential scam, seems like this guy knows what he's doing. And to make it worse, the area he lives in is, apparently, an autonomous region to Spain, not really even part of Spain itself. Here's a Wikipedia link: Galicia

So I'm going to cancel the sale.

I have questions though. The most important to my mind being if I send the money back to the buyer's Paypal account will he get the full amount he sent? In other words what happens to the fee Paypal charged me to take the money?

Is it easy to stop the cash transfer from Paypal to my bank account I started 2 days ago?

What happens to the £35.00 commission E-Bay charged me?

Will I be able to relist the camera for free?

Can I phone E-Bay or is it communication by e-mail only?

Can I phone Paypal? Actually, I seem to recall Paypal can be phoned.

I am dead nervous about this, I'll give it a couple of hours to see if anybody here can offer advice then I will go to Paypal and attempt to refund the buyer. I will also at the same time e-mail the buyer and explain as politely as possible why I have cancelled the sale.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Rocket Scientist

17th Apr 2009
Wise choice - posting it without tracking isn't an option, and it makes no sense to pay £100 for postage.

I don't know the exact proceedure for a refund... but don't do it by transfering the amount he paid you back, as you'll both get charged the paypal fee that way. There's a way you can automatically refund the transaction so you don't get charged fees, but I can't remember how to do it. Someone here who uses ebay more frequently may be able to offer advice though

Member Extraordinaire

17th Apr 2009
Yep it was too dodgy to go ahead with this transaction and I think you done the right thing in cancelling, I would have done the same..

Point 1/ Yes he will get the same amount he sent, and if you refund from the paypal tab itself you will not be charged, as Ian said don't do it manually as you will get charged, there should be a refund button you can press..

Point 2/ again that should get refunded back to you, but make sure you get in touch with ebay first just to let them know whats happened...

Point 3/ Not sure on that one, its usually only if you didn't manage to sell the first time round, in this case you did, again check with ebay mate..

Point 4/ email only mate and through there resolution system..

Point 5/ I have always gone through the paypal resolution system whenever I have had to claim or someones claimed against me, takes time but alaways been succesful in the past..

Good luck Flopp's I think you done the right thing in this case..

"Ironic, isn't it Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you." -- Mr. Burns

Crunchie Cat

17th Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppybootstomp
Can I phone E-Bay or is it communication by e-mail only?
I have just found several numbers for PayPal on the Say no to 0870 website. Please see thumbnails below. Hope they will help
Attached Thumbnails
How safe is E-Bay/Paypal?-say-no-1-pp.jpg   How safe is E-Bay/Paypal?-say-no-2-pp.jpg  

sugar 'n spikes

17th Apr 2009
Thanks all.

This is a bit of a nightmare.

I transferred £380.00 to my bank account from Paypal 2 days ago and it's not showing in my account yet. I have just spoken to Paypal (on an 0844 number btw and it took me a good ten minutes to get through to somebody) and they consider the transaction completed so it can't be stopped.

So I now have to wait for the money to reach my bank account and then wait for it to be transferred back again before I can make a refund. There is not enough money in my Paypal account atm to refund him, there's about £85.00 in there.

The last cash transfer I made took almost two weeks so when I tell the buyer what I intend to do is he ever going to be cheesed off. I am almost certain to get negative feedback I think.

Paypal did say that when I make the refund he will get the full amount he paid and my E-Bay fee will be refunded. But I think I will lose the money Paypal took originally from the sale.

Never, ever again will I accept a bid from anywhere other than the UK and all my future listings will state that. I do usually put that info but forgot with the camera.

Oh well, now I have the pleasant task of telling the buyer that the sale is cancelled and he will have to wait up to 3 weeks for his money back. Great.

Member Extraordinaire

17th Apr 2009
Rather that than lose your Nikon Camera kit and your £350 quid..

We live and learn eh..sigh..

17th Apr 2009
Leave it a week or so, he can wait

This guy is a scammer, for definate ... I would hold out for a week before you mention anything to him, then in a weeks time tell him you will refund him and say it will takw 3 - 5 days to clear

~My System~AMD Athlon64 3500+ Asus A8N - SLi Premium 1gig corsair Ram Maxtor 160GB SATA2 Geforce 6800GT Microsoft XP Home Premium

~My Laptop~ Dell XPS M1330 Intel T8100 2.1GHz Dual Core CPU 4096MB DDR2 RAM 250GB SATA Hard Drive 128MB nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS Microsoft Vista Home Premium

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: