Runtime Error start-up problem

Sylvia M

      12th Sep 2009
I'm running Win XP Media Center Ed2005, with XP3, allowing all updates.

For the last 2 days, when starting up or restarting, I get this error
message window:

Top Bar: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
X in a circle
C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way.

So I went to C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
and when I hit on it...I get the same window, same message.

1. what does DISCover do?
2. If I don't use it for games, can I uninstall DISC?

What now?

T.I.A.

Sylvia M.

db

      12th Sep 2009
not sure what that program does.

but whatever it should be doing
is not happening.

hence the message citing an error
with running it.

so it would be safe to say that if
the computer is functioning ok
without it,

then you can do some tuning up
to avoid the error message.

the message is likely being generated
from the startup sequence for windows.

so click on start>run>msconfig.

then under the startup tab uncheck
any line that references that file name
you mentioned.

if you are not sure, then uncheck
everything and jot down which ones
they were on paper.

now go to the services tabe, "hide"
all microsoft services.

then what remains, uncheck those
as well.

jot them too if you want.

now reboot.

if all goes as planned, you should have
successfully disabled a startup or service
that was targeting that file you mentioned.

-----------------
in regards to all the line items that you
disabled / unchecked;

you can review them carefully to see
which are vital to run at startup times.

many programs add junk to the startup
sequence which can cause your pc to
perform poorly.

if you have any doubts, you can list the
on your reply and we can let you know
which are ok to start up with the system
and which can be canned.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"share the nirvana mann" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sylvia M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IIPqm.37615$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Win XP Media Center Ed2005, with XP3, allowing all updates.
>
> For the last 2 days, when starting up or restarting, I get this error
> message window:
>
> Top Bar: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> X in a circle
> C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
> The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.
>
> So I went to C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
> and when I hit on it...I get the same window, same message.
>
> 1. what does DISCover do?
> 2. If I don't use it for games, can I uninstall DISC?
>
> What now?
>
> T.I.A.
>
> Sylvia M.

Sylvia M

      14th Sep 2009
Thanks dbb,
What I did was about what you suggested:
ran: msconfg

on startup
unchecked...

DISCover
Realsched
dumprep 0 -u
AdobeUpdateManager
Microsoft Greetings
Registry Booster
IndexSearch [scansearch(paper Port)]
QTTask
SSBkgdupdate [Scansoft shared}
jusched.exe Java

I left: ARPWRMSG.EXE
I'll check out what it is later.

then, Hide: all microsoft,
Left Norton 360
left Semantec
unchecked all others

When I restarted, I got this window, threatening to show up all the
time!
"System Configuration Utility

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the
way Windows starts.
[Yup, I did!]

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective
Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to
run every time Windows starts.
[Ohhh Noooo!]

Chose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows
normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration
Utility."
[But dbb said it was O.K. to do, and I was glad to get rid of some of
those items that were slowing down start-up...Especially the DISCover
problem!]

Oh...O.K....
I see it also has a little check-box saying: "Don't show this message
or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start"

So O.K. I guess I should just check that box and be happy, huh?

Thanks for your advice and help. Consider this feedback unless
something else goes wrong ;-)

Thanks,

Sylvia M

news:OHsrb$(E-Mail Removed)...