Running application as administrator on limited account

Marcus

      7th Nov 2006
I have made this application that is automatically launched when a user
logs into Windows.
I would like the application to start as user administrator or system,
even when a non-privileged (limited) user logs in.
I want to do this so that a non-privileged user can not kill the
process of my application in task manager - process tab.

Is there any way to do this?

Anton Pegan

      7th Nov 2006
Hi Marcus,

Take a look at the following article:

How to enable and use the "Run As" command when running programs in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676

Regards,

Anton Pegan
"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have made this application that is automatically launched when a user
> logs into Windows.
> I would like the application to start as user administrator or system,
> even when a non-privileged (limited) user logs in.
> I want to do this so that a non-privileged user can not kill the
> process of my application in task manager - process tab.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

Marcus

      7th Nov 2006
Hi Anton,

Thanks for answering.

I also want to do this non-interactively (should be transparent to the
limited user), so the limited user should not be prompted for password
or something like that. Is this possible with "run as"?
Maybe one can supply password on the command line together with the
"run as" command or something like that?

Some people claim there is a security risk in using "run as", what are
your opinion about that.

I also stumpled across something called CPAU, which seems to be
something similar to "run as", do you have any experience with that
tool?

again, thanks for answering.

Anton Pegan skrev:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Take a look at the following article:
>
> How to enable and use the "Run As" command when running programs in Windows
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676
>
> Regards,
>
> Anton Pegan
> "Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have made this application that is automatically launched when a user
> > logs into Windows.
> > I would like the application to start as user administrator or system,
> > even when a non-privileged (limited) user logs in.
> > I want to do this so that a non-privileged user can not kill the
> > process of my application in task manager - process tab.
> >
> > Is there any way to do this?

Anton Pegan

      7th Nov 2006
Hi Marcus,

Actually Microsoft suggests that you always logon with a user account that
has limited privileges for security reasons and use secondary logon or Run
As option. You can run it using the command line. Just type "runas
/user:administrator program.exe", but you will be always prompted for
password. You can also use some third-party programs, like one you
suggested, here is one:

http://www.robotronic.de/runasspcEn.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar...29/271551.aspx

You can use a script:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20906129.html

Creating a Scheduled task for that user, supplying appropriate username,
password and application, would also do.

How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569

Regards,