"Run As" application

Or Tsemah

      23rd Dec 2006
Hi.
Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to run
the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges on
the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ?

2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command
without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ?

Thanks.
--
Or Tsemah
YSIDE

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

      27th Dec 2006
You can still use runas like before, but only from the command line. It has
been removed from the context menu.

I would highly discourage you from using runas in a login script though.
Those are readable to everyone in the domain, exposing the passwords in them
to everyone.

"Or Tsemah" wrote:

> Hi.
> Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to run
> the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges on
> the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ?
>
> 2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command
> without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Or Tsemah
> YSIDE

Ko

      27th Dec 2006
There is a cmd prompt in the menu accessoiries.
You could run that with the option run as administrator and from there do
the needed things!

Ko.

"Jesper" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can still use runas like before, but only from the command line. It
> has
> been removed from the context menu.
>
> I would highly discourage you from using runas in a login script though.
> Those are readable to everyone in the domain, exposing the passwords in
> them
> to everyone.
>
> "Or Tsemah" wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to
>> run
>> the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges
>> on
>> the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ?
>>
>> 2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command
>> without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Or Tsemah
>> YSIDE

Or Tsemah

      28th Dec 2006
How should i suppose to run Login Scripts then ?
Options like "Net Time" require Elavated Priviliges

--
Or Tsemah
YSIDE

"Ko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a cmd prompt in the menu accessoiries.
> You could run that with the option run as administrator and from there do
> the needed things!
>
> Ko.
>
> "Jesper" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can still use runas like before, but only from the command line. It
>> has
>> been removed from the context menu.
>>
>> I would highly discourage you from using runas in a login script though.
>> Those are readable to everyone in the domain, exposing the passwords in
>> them
>> to everyone.
>>
>> "Or Tsemah" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to
>>> run
>>> the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges
>>> on
>>> the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ?
>>>
>>> 2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command
>>> without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Or Tsemah
>>> YSIDE

Ko

      28th Dec 2006
You can set the properties of a script to run always with administrator
privileges.
Right click and set the properties on the saved script, the only problem
anybody who has access to the PC is then able to run it with the same
settings.

Ko.

"Or Tsemah" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How should i suppose to run Login Scripts then ?
> Options like "Net Time" require Elavated Priviliges
>

> --
> Or Tsemah
> YSIDE
>
> "Ko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a cmd prompt in the menu accessoiries.
>> You could run that with the option run as administrator and from there do
>> the needed things!
>>
>> Ko.
>>
>> "Jesper" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You can still use runas like before, but only from the command line. It
>>> has
>>> been removed from the context menu.
>>>
>>> I would highly discourage you from using runas in a login script though.
>>> Those are readable to everyone in the domain, exposing the passwords in
>>> them
>>> to everyone.

Alun Jones

      29th Dec 2006
"Or Tsemah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How should i suppose to run Login Scripts then ?
> Options like "Net Time" require Elavated Priviliges

By default, Windows in a domain synchronises to the domain's time - if you
want to synchronise to an external time source, you can add to your group
policy for computers in the domain, to configure and enable the Windows NTP
client (under Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->
System -> Windows Time Service -> Time Providers).

Other similar "admin-only" commands that you are executing from your login
scripts are likely similarly supported by group policy settings. Requiring
logon scripts to execute code as administrator is not appropriate.

Alun.
~~~~

John Kelly

      6th Feb 2007
Perhaps you don't want to run as administrator simply with different
credentials. Example, specific user created to run exmerge to backup
mailboxes. Admins are specifically denied this right.

"Ko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a cmd prompt in the menu accessoiries.
> You could run that with the option run as administrator and from there do
> the needed things!
>
> Ko.
>
> "Jesper" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You can still use runas like before, but only from the command line. It
>> has
>> been removed from the context menu.
>>
>> I would highly discourage you from using runas in a login script though.
>> Those are readable to everyone in the domain, exposing the passwords in
>> them
>> to everyone.
>>
>> "Or Tsemah" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to
>>> run
>>> the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges
>>> on
>>> the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ?
>>>
>>> 2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command
>>> without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> --
>>> Or Tsemah
>>> YSIDE

Trev

      21st Mar 2007
On 6 Feb, 19:22, "John Kelly" <jk2005 gmail> wrote:
> Perhaps you don't want to run as administrator simply with different
> credentials. Example, specific user created to run exmerge to backup
> mailboxes. Admins are specifically denied this right.
>
> "Ko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > There is a cmd prompt in the menu accessoiries.
> > You could run that with the option run as administrator and from there do
> > the needed things!

> > Ko.

> > "Jesper" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> >news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> You can still userunaslike before, but only from the command line. It
> >> has
> >> been removed from the context menu.

> >> I would highly discourage you from usingrunasin a loginscriptthough.
> >> Those are readable to everyone in the domain, exposing the passwords in
> >> them
> >> to everyone.

Hi

i'm not sure if this will help but have a look at www.dustan.co.uk
there is a backup script which calls a remote script which calls a
runas admin script for remote deployment and installs etc. you could
run the remote script at startup then call the runas admin script
hidden on the network using the $ and set the correct permisions that
no one else could access the directory except the system etc. i use
it all the time on our domain including the backup script for client
computers, i allways hide the folders. Theres is a saying out of
sight out of mind LOL

hope this helps and good luck

Ta

Trev