PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Routing IPX - how do I get it to work?

 
 
Balance
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Sep 2004
I've just set up a wireless network - I've got a wireless router (cisco
aironet 1200) in my main office and in the remote office a W2k server with
a wireless card in.

The W2k server runs DHCP and RRAS and is successfully routing TCP/IP.

However, I have a netware server running IPX/SPX in my main office (it is
old and TCP/IP is not an option) and the PCs in the remote office cannot
get access - I have turned on IPX routing in RRAS and even installed the
ASAP agent with no luck. In RRAS the wired LAN card is showing as
"operational state : down" for IPX/SPX.

Does anyone have any idea how to get IPX/SPX client PCs talking to an
IPX/SPX network across this sort of wireless link.

Assistance most appreicated - yes I have considered moving it all to
TCP/IP but that will take some significant work which I plan to do - I am
just hoping for a quick temporary fix.

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phillip Windell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Sep 2004
Is the IPX/SPX actually installed on the RRAS machine? It will also have to
be installed on every machine that want to communicat with the IPX machine.
IPX/SPX must be installed on evey involved machine, RRAS is a "router", it
is not a Protocol Gateway.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Balance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just set up a wireless network - I've got a wireless router (cisco
> aironet 1200) in my main office and in the remote office a W2k server with
> a wireless card in.
>
> The W2k server runs DHCP and RRAS and is successfully routing TCP/IP.
>
> However, I have a netware server running IPX/SPX in my main office (it is
> old and TCP/IP is not an option) and the PCs in the remote office cannot
> get access - I have turned on IPX routing in RRAS and even installed the
> ASAP agent with no luck. In RRAS the wired LAN card is showing as
> "operational state : down" for IPX/SPX.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to get IPX/SPX client PCs talking to an
> IPX/SPX network across this sort of wireless link.
>
> Assistance most appreicated - yes I have considered moving it all to
> TCP/IP but that will take some significant work which I plan to do - I am
> just hoping for a quick temporary fix.
>
> Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phillip Windell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Sep 2004
I think you also have to set a network number for the IPX/SPX in the
protocol config on each machine. But that is a bit of a guess, I am a little
rusty on my IPX/SPX. The network number can be arbitrarily choosen, but it
is common practice to use the network ID from TCP/IP for this after removing
the dots. For example, the TCP/IP network ID of 192.168.1.0 would be written
as 19216810 for the network ID in IPX/SPX. The RRAS box, I guess, would need
two,...one for each Interface.


--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com


"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the IPX/SPX actually installed on the RRAS machine? It will also have

to
> be installed on every machine that want to communicat with the IPX

machine.
> IPX/SPX must be installed on evey involved machine, RRAS is a "router",

it
> is not a Protocol Gateway.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
Balance
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Sep 2004
RRAS and all the machines have IPX/SPX installed.

I cannot see how to define the IPX network number on the interface on the
RRAS server - it has an internal number but I cannot identify how to
tell it the actual network address I want to use (probably because the
server is not actually a netware server). I think that is where I am
stuck - because there is no server on the remote side the clients dion't
wake up and look for netware.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:10:37 -0500, wrote:

> I think you also have to set a network number for the IPX/SPX in the
> protocol config on each machine. But that is a bit of a guess, I am a little
> rusty on my IPX/SPX. The network number can be arbitrarily choosen, but it
> is common practice to use the network ID from TCP/IP for this after removing
> the dots. For example, the TCP/IP network ID of 192.168.1.0 would be written
> as 19216810 for the network ID in IPX/SPX. The RRAS box, I guess, would need
> two,...one for each Interface.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Phillip Windell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Sep 2004
"Balance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I cannot see how to define the IPX network number on the interface on the
> RRAS server - it has an internal number but I cannot identify how to
> tell it the actual network address I want to use (probably because the
> server is not actually a netware server). I think that is where I am
> stuck - because there is no server on the remote side the clients dion't
> wake up and look for netware.


It is somewhere in the IPX/SPX Properties on each NIC. I don't have any
here, so I cannot verify where it is. But is it a normal part of the IPX/SPX
configuration,...it has to be there somewhere.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IPX routing in Windows 2000 Professional msg Microsoft Windows 2000 RAS Routing 2 27th Dec 2007 05:55 PM
IPX routing in Windows 2000 Professional msg Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking 2 27th Dec 2007 05:55 PM
Routing - macro to open routing dialog and then stop =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBSLg==?= Microsoft Excel Programming 1 18th Dec 2004 03:41 AM
W2K3 RAS Routing Failure with routing error code 57 SMC Microsoft Windows 2000 RAS Routing 0 20th Dec 2003 10:11 PM
How to routing the packet of VPN client to internet via VPN & Routing Server amanda Microsoft Windows 2000 RAS Routing 0 11th Oct 2003 01:59 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 PM.