Router after SP/2 disconnects

Ed.

      19th Oct 2004
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 version 2 router. It worked fine before SP/2. After
SP/2 it disconnects often like in ten minutes or maybe in an hour. I removed
SP/2 for two days and haven't had one disconnect. I am going to install it
again today and I am sure the disconnects will be back.

Anyone know what it is with SP/2 or with Linksys that is causing this. I am
going to call Linksys but I have called them in the past and never got much
help from them. I wanted to post here first to see what anyone would
suggest.

Thanks,
Ed.

Bob I

      19th Oct 2004
I would suspect an issue with your NIC driver is the case, not the router.

Ed. wrote:

> I have a Linksys BEFSR41 version 2 router. It worked fine before SP/2. After
> SP/2 it disconnects often like in ten minutes or maybe in an hour. I removed
> SP/2 for two days and haven't had one disconnect. I am going to install it
> again today and I am sure the disconnects will be back.
>
> Anyone know what it is with SP/2 or with Linksys that is causing this. I am
> going to call Linksys but I have called them in the past and never got much
> help from them. I wanted to post here first to see what anyone would
> suggest.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.

Ed.

      19th Oct 2004
OK, thanks for the reply. I checked the website for my mother board as the
NIC is onboard and I have the latest drivers for it. It is an MSI K7N2-Delta
ILSR. I have now installed SP/2 again and I got a disconnect after 45
minutes. Do you think SP/2 is putting in drivers for the NIC that are
causing it?

Thanks,
Ed.

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would suspect an issue with your NIC driver is the case, not the router.
>
> Ed. wrote:
>
>> I have a Linksys BEFSR41 version 2 router. It worked fine before SP/2.
>> After
>> SP/2 it disconnects often like in ten minutes or maybe in an hour. I
>> removed
>> SP/2 for two days and haven't had one disconnect. I am going to install
>> it
>> again today and I am sure the disconnects will be back.
>>
>> Anyone know what it is with SP/2 or with Linksys that is causing this. I
>> am
>> going to call Linksys but I have called them in the past and never got
>> much
>> help from them. I wanted to post here first to see what anyone would
>> suggest.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed.

Bob I

      19th Oct 2004
Have you tried reinstalling the drivers AFTER the SP2 install?

Ed. wrote:

> OK, thanks for the reply. I checked the website for my mother board as the
> NIC is onboard and I have the latest drivers for it. It is an MSI K7N2-Delta
> ILSR. I have now installed SP/2 again and I got a disconnect after 45
> minutes. Do you think SP/2 is putting in drivers for the NIC that are
> causing it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.
>

> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I would suspect an issue with your NIC driver is the case, not the router.
>>
>>Ed. wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Linksys BEFSR41 version 2 router. It worked fine before SP/2.
>>>After
>>>SP/2 it disconnects often like in ten minutes or maybe in an hour. I
>>>removed
>>>SP/2 for two days and haven't had one disconnect. I am going to install
>>>it
>>>again today and I am sure the disconnects will be back.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what it is with SP/2 or with Linksys that is causing this. I
>>>am
>>>going to call Linksys but I have called them in the past and never got
>>>much
>>>help from them. I wanted to post here first to see what anyone would
>>>suggest.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Ed.

Ed.

      19th Oct 2004
Yes, I selected update driver in Device Manager and it says it can't find a
better match then what I already have.

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried reinstalling the drivers AFTER the SP2 install?
>
> Ed. wrote:
>
>> OK, thanks for the reply. I checked the website for my mother board as
>> the NIC is onboard and I have the latest drivers for it. It is an MSI
>> K7N2-Delta ILSR. I have now installed SP/2 again and I got a disconnect
>> after 45 minutes. Do you think SP/2 is putting in drivers for the NIC
>> that are causing it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed.
>>

>> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I would suspect an issue with your NIC driver is the case, not the
>>>router.

Richard Urban

      19th Oct 2004
Tell the O/S you are the boss.

Force the driver install. Do NOT do an automatic search for the drivers.
MAKE the operating system accept them. Install from a list. Don't search -
choose! Then go to where you have the drivers saved. Choose the driver "you"
want and install it.

It's all about "how" you try to install the drivers.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I selected update driver in Device Manager and it says it can't find
> a better match then what I already have.
>
> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you tried reinstalling the drivers AFTER the SP2 install?
>>
>> Ed. wrote:
>>
>>> OK, thanks for the reply. I checked the website for my mother board as
>>> the NIC is onboard and I have the latest drivers for it. It is an MSI
>>> K7N2-Delta ILSR. I have now installed SP/2 again and I got a disconnect
>>> after 45 minutes. Do you think SP/2 is putting in drivers for the NIC
>>> that are causing it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed.
>>>

>>> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ed.

      20th Oct 2004
OK, I understand. Which do I try to force? The older ones on the motherboard
CD? Those are the only ones I have. If any after that they came from Windows
Updates or SP/2.

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tell the O/S you are the boss.
>
> Force the driver install. Do NOT do an automatic search for the drivers.
> MAKE the operating system accept them. Install from a list. Don't search -
> choose! Then go to where you have the drivers saved. Choose the driver
> "you" want and install it.
>
> It's all about "how" you try to install the drivers.
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>

> "Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, I selected update driver in Device Manager and it says it can't find
>> a better match then what I already have.
>>
>> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you tried reinstalling the drivers AFTER the SP2 install?

Ed.

      20th Oct 2004
I just reinstalled from the mobo CD and the drivers are the same date and
version that I had.
I have downgraded my Linksys firmware from the Aug 2004 version 1.46.2 down
to the April 2002 version 1.42.7 and all seems to be working fine. Will see
how this works thru out the night. If no disconnects by morning, then I know
the problem has been taken care of.

If it is the firmware, I wish Linksys would get their firmware updates to
not add new bugs when they make it to cure previous bugs.

Thanks again,
Ed.

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tell the O/S you are the boss.
>
> Force the driver install. Do NOT do an automatic search for the drivers.
> MAKE the operating system accept them. Install from a list. Don't search -
> choose! Then go to where you have the drivers saved. Choose the driver
> "you" want and install it.
>
> It's all about "how" you try to install the drivers.
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>

> "Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, I selected update driver in Device Manager and it says it can't find
>> a better match then what I already have.
>>
>> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you tried reinstalling the drivers AFTER the SP2 install?

Courtney

      20th Oct 2004
It's not your router. It has absolutely nothing to do with your
operating system. It doens't know or even care what operating system you
are using. (I use it with SunOS.)

What was reset when you install SP2 was your power settings. The clue
was the 45 minute delay in disconnecting.

Try going into your NIC settings in Device Manager. Disable the power
management setting that allows Windows to turn the device off to save power.

courtney sends....

Ed. wrote:
> I just reinstalled from the mobo CD and the drivers are the same date and
> version that I had.
> I have downgraded my Linksys firmware from the Aug 2004 version 1.46.2 down
> to the April 2002 version 1.42.7 and all seems to be working fine. Will see
> how this works thru out the night. If no disconnects by morning, then I know
> the problem has been taken care of.
>
> If it is the firmware, I wish Linksys would get their firmware updates to
> not add new bugs when they make it to cure previous bugs.
>
> Thanks again,
> Ed.
>
> "Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Tell the O/S you are the boss.
>>
>>Force the driver install. Do NOT do an automatic search for the drivers.
>>MAKE the operating system accept them. Install from a list. Don't search -
>>choose! Then go to where you have the drivers saved. Choose the driver
>>"you" want and install it.
>>
>>It's all about "how" you try to install the drivers.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards:
>>
>>Richard Urban
>>
>>aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>

>>"Ed." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Yes, I selected update driver in Device Manager and it says it can't find
>>>a better match then what I already have.
>>>
>>>"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ed.

      20th Oct 2004
I already had that unchecked.

Also I thought that the firmware on the router was going to help but after 8
hrs. it disconnected again. At least now it takes longer.

Event Viewer shows this error:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: RemoteAccess
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20159
Date: 10/19/2004
Time: 11:00:49 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XP3200
The connection to The Internet (2) made by user User Name using device
IRDA12-1 was disconnected.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

And going to that links shows:

Explanation
A Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) connection was disconnected. Possible causes
include normal user-initiated disconnection or a hardware error.
User Action
Check the PPP and Rasman logs for any related events. If no related events
are found, then this was probably a user-initiated disconnection and no user
action is required.