RIS: Adding drivers to image ?

=?Utf-8?B?RHJ1bWdvZA==?=

      5th May 2005
All,

I have a RIS server that is loaded with several images. The images were
created by running RIPREP.EXE on a configured workstation and then uploaded
to a RIS server.

I need to add device drivers to these images, that will allow Windows to
detect and install drivers for hardware during the Hardware Installation
(Plug and play detection) porition of the Windows setup when imaging a client
using the RIS server.

I have 2 new hardware devices. (1) a modem, (2) a new NIC
I have tried the Microsoft recommended way of doing this (KB254078) by
adding a
directory to my RIS image (in the same path as the I386 folder) like this:

$oem$\$1\Drivers
\Modem
\NIC

I have then edited my Ristndrd.sif file with the following additions:

[unattend]
OemPreInstall = Yes
OemPnPDriversPath = "Driver\Modem;Drivers\NIC"
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

When I load a workstation with the new hardware, Windows is loaded, I log in
and then i am asked to load the device drivers for the new modem and nic... I
have been fighting with this for way too long and im loosing to much hair.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???????

I have one further question: in KB246184 , it says:
"If the RIS image was created with RIPREP, you must perform these steps on
both the RIPREP image and the RISETUP image that corresponds to the RIPREP
image"

WTF does that mean? how do i know what my corrosponding RISETUP image is? Is
that the CD based image i loaded to setup the RIS server, before configuring
and loading my RIPREP image?

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Nick Payne

      6th May 2005
If you want those extra driver directories to be searched for inf files in
an Riprep image, then before you run Riprep to create the image you need a
c:\sysprep directory that contains the file sysprep.inf with the
OemPnPDriversPath line that points to the extra directories. You can't just
add them afterwards if the sysprep information wasn't there to be captured
by Riprep. If you didn't do that when you created your existing RIS images
then you'll need to recreate the RIS images with the sysprep directory on
the disk of the workstation you are using to create the image.

There are a couple of MSKB articles that explain it. Do a Google search for
riprep $oem$ to find them.

Nick

news:(E-Mail Removed)...