PC Review

> How to rip a DVD to avi for editing

Wannabe Webmaster

15th Sep 2006
I recently recorded a wedding on a camcorder, and I'd like to edit the footage.
In order to do this I need to be able to rip the footage from a DVD (My PC has no video input, so I had to record the footage to a DVD from the camcorder via a standalone DVD recorder).

So now, how (ie what is the best program to use) do I rip the footage from the DVD to a editable file(s) on my computer.

I'm not sure which type of file will be best, but I am planning to use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, so I presume a avi of MPEG file will be OK (any more advice here would be very much appreciated).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

15th Sep 2006
You don't need a Video input to be honest, a DV camcorder passes footage to the computer via the use of Firewire cable.

Does your PC/Camcorder have this port?

Wannabe Webmaster

15th Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cImrie
You don't need a Video input to be honest, a DV camcorder passes footage to the computer via the use of Firewire cable.

Does your PC/Camcorder have this port?
It doesn't have firewire, as it's a fairly old tape based camera, and only has A/V phono-type connections, hence using using the standalone DVD recorder, to convert the footage to a digital format.
So, now I just need to be able to convert the DVD into a file format I can work with.

Rocket Scientist

15th Sep 2006
I've seen Floppy suggest this in another thread:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...dvd_shrink.cfm

Not used it myself but its Free

Wannabe Webmaster

15th Sep 2006
I do have DVDShrink, although it is purely for shrinking the the filesize of a DVD (normally for fitting A DVD9 onto a DVD5). A good free tool, although not the tool I need.

Thanks for the suggestion though Ian

I need to convert the current format of footage (all the IFO and VOB files on a DVD) into a editeable format, AVI or MPEG should be fine.

Rocket Scientist

15th Sep 2006
Sorry I didn't realise it doesn't do that

This one sounds like it does though:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...rs/dvd2avi.cfm

sugar 'n spikes

15th Sep 2006
I use this, I paid about 19.00 for it. My version is 2.1.43, latest version is 3.1.

It will convert vob (DVD) files to mpeg1 but how well, I don't know.

I'm right now converting a full length movie (no security encoding) to see how well it performs, I'll let you know.

Other alternatives are to buy a cheap TV card to make use of the video capture facility on it, or one of these, my friend has something similar named Sparkle and it works well.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

15th Sep 2006
I use this no problems old movies camcord etc: you can get it cheaper I paid 14.00 I will have a look for you. http://site.magix.net/english-uk/hom...-on-cd-dvd-50/

If MS ever make anything that does not suck it will be a> Vacuum cleaner

In nature, nothing is ever right. Therefore, if everything is going right... something is wrong.

15th Sep 2006
Here U IS 13.99http://www.amazon.co.uk/Movies-On-CD...UTF8&s=gateway

Does what it says on the tin

If MS ever make anything that does not suck it will be a> Vacuum cleaner

In nature, nothing is ever right. Therefore, if everything is going right... something is wrong.

sugar 'n spikes

15th Sep 2006
What we're looking for here is a way to turn DVD (vob) files to mpg files, are we not?

Not something that's common.

My experiment earlier didn't work, It converted all the movie's 'Extra' files but ignored the main movie

If the home movie is just one vob file, it may work, but I don't know.

It's really easy to convert avi & mpg files to vob (DVD) files but vice versa is, as I said, uncommon.

There are guides showing how to convert DVD's to DivX but I haven't seen any that convert to mpg or avi.

In my opinion, it would be so much easier to capture the original camcorder files to mpg through one of the capture devices I mentioned earlier.

Then you can edit within Adobe Premier to your heart's content.

There may be a way of converting DVD to mpg, but it eludes me for the moment.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: