RIGHT not doing anything

Outlook, eh?

      21st Jan 2010
Greetings,

I am using Excel 2007. In column A:

Joe Smith

In column B I enter:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*", SUBSTITUTE(A1,"
","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")))))

in order extract the last name. I can't do text to columns because we have
many names with one or more middle names, titles, etc...

Anyway, when I hit enter at after the last parenthesis, nothing happens. No
error, nothing...

Please advise and many thanks,
-B

Bernard Liengme

      23rd Jan 2010
Your formula works just fine for me
Try again

BTW: the general newsgroup is much beter than this one
--
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Outlook, eh?" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am using Excel 2007. In column A:
>
> Joe Smith
>
> In column B I enter:
> =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*", SUBSTITUTE(A1,"
> ","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")))))
>
> in order extract the last name. I can't do text to columns because we have
> many names with one or more middle names, titles, etc...
>
> Anyway, when I hit enter at after the last parenthesis, nothing happens. No
> error, nothing...
>
> Please advise and many thanks,
> -B

Stig-Arne Nordin

      27th Jan 2010
If the right function just sits there the perhaps your data which it operates on is formatted as a number? I've had major some hassles with text functions operating on non-text fields. Excel-function just won't compute.

Outlook, eh? wrote:

RIGHT not doing anything
21-Jan-10

Greetings

I am using Excel 2007. In column A

Joe Smit

In column B I enter
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*", SUBSTITUTE(A1,
","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))))

in order extract the last name. I cannot do text to columns because we hav
many names with one or more middle names, titles, etc..

Anyway, when I hit enter at after the last parenthesis, nothing happens. N
error, nothing..

Please advise and many thanks
-B

C# Email without SMTP Service or CDO
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-smtp-ser.aspx

Stig-Arne Nordin

      27th Jan 2010
are your data formatted as numbers? if not your text function won't compute.

Outlook, eh? wrote:

RIGHT not doing anything
21-Jan-10

Greetings

I am using Excel 2007. In column A

Joe Smit

In column B I enter
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*", SUBSTITUTE(A1,
","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))))

in order extract the last name. I cannot do text to columns because we hav
many names with one or more middle names, titles, etc..

Anyway, when I hit enter at after the last parenthesis, nothing happens. N
error, nothing..

Please advise and many thanks
-B

Binary Data With SQLite and its ADO.NET Provider
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-sqlite-a.aspx