What is the RFC2822 standard?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRy4=?=

      8th Nov 2005
I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable" message
saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard."

Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much.

Galen

      8th Nov 2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
David G. <David (E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

> I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable"
> message saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822
> standard."
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thank you very much.

Is it a bounce back message or a message from inside Outlook? (Not that I
have an answer nessesarily but rather it's a bit curious and when a standard
isn't being followed by default, well, there's much potential for problems.)

You can read about the standard here though I'm not sure this will help you
out any:

RFC2822 - Internet Message Format:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

Are you using the BCC field without a To: address? Are there unsent message
in your outbox?

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the
furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the
lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants it."

Sherlock Holmes

neo [mvp outlook]

      8th Nov 2005
If you are using Outlook 2003, the server could be complaining that there
isn't a message id. It is perfectly okay to submit a message to a MTA w/out
one as RFC2822 is for server to server communications and not client to
server. Contact your ISP and let them know that they should be stamping the
message with a message id before sending on to the final recipients mail
server.

"David G." <David (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable" message
> saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard."
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thank you very much.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRy4=?=

      8th Nov 2005
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure why this is happening. The message and file I was trying to
send was sent to me to my work e-mail. I forwarded it to my home e-mail
address (I use Outlook 2003 both at work and at home). I received it
perfectly, but the problem only arises when I sent it out to varioius e-mail
addresses.

Would this help you refine a little more your understanding of what is going
on?

Thank you.

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> If you are using Outlook 2003, the server could be complaining that there
> isn't a message id. It is perfectly okay to submit a message to a MTA w/out
> one as RFC2822 is for server to server communications and not client to
> server. Contact your ISP and let them know that they should be stamping the
> message with a message id before sending on to the final recipients mail
> server.
>
> "David G." <David (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable" message
> > saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard."
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thank you very much.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRy4=?=

      8th Nov 2005
Thank you for your reply.

Yes this is a bounce back message. You can read my reply to the other
message about the circumstances under which this happened.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> David G. <David (E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

> > I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable"
> > message saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822
> > standard."
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thank you very much.

> Is it a bounce back message or a message from inside Outlook? (Not that I
> have an answer nessesarily but rather it's a bit curious and when a standard
> isn't being followed by default, well, there's much potential for problems.)
>
> You can read about the standard here though I'm not sure this will help you
> out any:
>
> RFC2822 - Internet Message Format:
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html
>
> Are you using the BCC field without a To: address? Are there unsent message
> in your outbox?
>
> --
> Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> "A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the
> furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the
> lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants it."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

neo [mvp outlook]

      8th Nov 2005
Sure and again it most likely boils down to the missing message id. Try
this, send yourself a message (work to home or vice versa). Bring up the
internet header (options button on toolbar) on the received message and see
if you see a line that reads:

The @hostname should match the ISP or company mail server name. If it is
missing outright, then the people that run the mail servers aren't aware of
the change in Outlook 2003 and are trying to combat spam and such buy using
flawed logic.

"David G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I am not sure why this is happening. The message and file I was trying to
> send was sent to me to my work e-mail. I forwarded it to my home e-mail
> address (I use Outlook 2003 both at work and at home). I received it
> perfectly, but the problem only arises when I sent it out to varioius
> e-mail
> addresses.
>
> Would this help you refine a little more your understanding of what is
> going
> on?
>
> Thank you.
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
>
>> If you are using Outlook 2003, the server could be complaining that there
>> isn't a message id. It is perfectly okay to submit a message to a MTA
>> w/out
>> one as RFC2822 is for server to server communications and not client to
>> server. Contact your ISP and let them know that they should be stamping
>> the
>> message with a message id before sending on to the final recipients mail
>> server.
>>
>> "David G." <David (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable"
>> >message
>> > saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard."
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much.

Galen

      8th Nov 2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
David G. <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Yes this is a bounce back message. You can read my reply to the other
> message about the circumstances under which this happened.
>

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> David G. <David (E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

>>> I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable"
>>> message saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822
>>> standard."
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.

>> Is it a bounce back message or a message from inside Outlook? (Not
>> that I have an answer nessesarily but rather it's a bit curious and
>> when a standard isn't being followed by default, well, there's much
>> potential for problems.)
>>
>> You can read about the standard here though I'm not sure this will
>> help you out any:
>>
>> RFC2822 - Internet Message Format:
>> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html
>>
>> Are you using the BCC field without a To: address? Are there unsent
>> message in your outbox?
>>
>> --
>> Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)

I read the responses and, as I'm sure you know, you'd definitely want to
follow Neo's advice on this one. (Outlook is what I tend to use quite a bit
but isn't anything that I'd say I know too much about, honestly, other than
what I consider to be the basics. Standards are what attracted me to inquire
into your post.) If it's any indication then I'd have to say I agree that
it's an ISP issue as it seems you sent it out to "various e-mail addresses."
If you don't mind slaking my curiosity, where you sending it out with
addresses in the BCC: field? And if so did you have at least one address in
the To: field?

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the
furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the
lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants it."

Sherlock Holmes

=?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFN0b25l?=

      31st Dec 2005
I've had exactly the same problem as David. I checked out the Message ID in
the Internet properties as you suggested and it reads Message-ID:
<000901c60d94$119312d0$6401a8c0@HPDESKTOP>.

HPDESKTOP is my home computer. Shouldn't it read @Earthlink or something
like that because smtpauth.earthlink.net is my outgoing server?

Cheers.
--
(Jeremy)

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> Sure and again it most likely boils down to the missing message id. Try
> this, send yourself a message (work to home or vice versa). Bring up the
> internet header (options button on toolbar) on the received message and see
> if you see a line that reads:

> The @hostname should match the ISP or company mail server name. If it is
> missing outright, then the people that run the mail servers aren't aware of
> the change in Outlook 2003 and are trying to combat spam and such buy using
> flawed logic.
>
> "David G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I am not sure why this is happening. The message and file I was trying to
> > send was sent to me to my work e-mail. I forwarded it to my home e-mail
> > address (I use Outlook 2003 both at work and at home). I received it
> > perfectly, but the problem only arises when I sent it out to varioius
> > e-mail
> > addresses.
> >
> > Would this help you refine a little more your understanding of what is
> > going
> > on?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are using Outlook 2003, the server could be complaining that there
> >> isn't a message id. It is perfectly okay to submit a message to a MTA
> >> w/out
> >> one as RFC2822 is for server to server communications and not client to
> >> server. Contact your ISP and let them know that they should be stamping
> >> the
> >> message with a message id before sending on to the final recipients mail
> >> server.
> >>
> >> "David G." <David (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Galen

      31st Dec 2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Jeremy Stone <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

> I've had exactly the same problem as David. I checked out the Message
> ID in the Internet properties as you suggested and it reads
>
> HPDESKTOP is my home computer. Shouldn't it read @Earthlink or
> something like that because smtpauth.earthlink.net is my outgoing
> server?
>
> Cheers.

<snip>

I'd say disable your email security with your antivirus software. Really,
you'll be protected regardless if it's real time scanning.

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/
http://kgiii.info/

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
Sherlock Holmes