Reverse google search problem-don't want google as default!!

pm957

      9th Dec 2004
I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.

Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

Jan Il

      9th Dec 2004
Hi pm957 :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

How to Make Internet Explorer the Default Web Browser (Q284456)

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
> installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
> google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
> matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.
>
> Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
> prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

rodneyfunnie@hotmail.com

      9th Dec 2004
pm957 wrote:
> I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
> installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
> google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
> matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.
>
> Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
> prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

These links may help:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php?id=289
Cheers,
Andy
--
http://www.andylaurence.co.uk

pm957

      9th Dec 2004
No luck, but IE is already the default Browser. Trying to get rid of
google as the default search engine.

Thanks for the input.

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:28:48 -0500, "Jan Il" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi pm957 :-)
>
>Try the following and see if it helps:
>
>How to Make Internet Explorer the Default Web Browser (Q284456)
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q284456
>
>If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
>with the details and any error messages.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Jan
>Smiles are meant to be shared,
>that's why they're so contagious.
>
>Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
>Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
>
>How to make a good newsgroup post:
>http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

>> I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
>> installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
>> google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
>> matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.
>>
>> Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
>> prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

pm957

      9th Dec 2004
Used these links and deleted the offending registry entries, but
google still shows up as the default engine.

Thanks.
On 9 Dec 2004 07:56:52 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>pm957 wrote:
>> I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
>> installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
>> google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
>> matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.
>>
>> Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
>> prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

>These links may help:
>
>http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php?id=289
>http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/957/
>http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1065/
>Cheers,
>Andy

Jan Il

      9th Dec 2004
Hi pm957 :-)

Try the following, see if it helps:

Clearing Your Search History From Google And Other Search Engines
http://searchenginewatch.com/serepor...le.php/2165181

Perhaps you need to clear the files before it will delete entirely. I have
never used Google or other 3rd party toolbars, so I am not sure how entwined
it may be in your system.

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> No luck, but IE is already the default Browser. Trying to get rid of
> google as the default search engine.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:28:48 -0500, "Jan Il" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi pm957 :-)
> >
> >Try the following and see if it helps:
> >
> >How to Make Internet Explorer the Default Web Browser (Q284456)
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q284456
> >
> >If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this

thread
> >with the details and any error messages.
> >
> >Hope this helps
> >
> >Jan
> >Smiles are meant to be shared,
> >that's why they're so contagious.
> >
> >Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
> >Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other

readers.

> >How to make a good newsgroup post:
> >http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> >> I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
> >> installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
> >> google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
> >> matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.
> >>
> >> Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
> >> prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

      9th Dec 2004
Restore Search
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...oreSearch2.REG

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"pm957" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently installed software that had google toolbar as part of the
> installation. I have used the add/remove programs to get rid of the
> google toolbar, but now my default search in IE6 is google, and no
> matter what I do, I cannot get this to change.
>
> Please help. Like to use google occassionally from their site, but
> prefer to use other engines that give fewer results to start.

pm957

      9th Dec 2004
That did the trick. Thanks so much for the help.

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:36:56 -0500, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Restore Search
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...oreSearch2.REG

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE