Reuse Windows for launching shortcuts

MartynB

      23rd Dec 2004
When I click on a link in an Internet-aware program such as Outlook Express,
I want to be able to open that link in a new browser window.

I have unchecked the "Reuse Windows for launching shortcuts" box under
Internet Options|Advanced|Browsing, but the link still reuses a currently
open browser window.

Perhaps an IE add-on is corrupting the behavior, if so how do I
troubleshoot?

Roland Bierlein

      23rd Dec 2004
Buenas tardes: *MartynB* escribiˇ:

> When I click on a link in an Internet-aware program such as Outlook Express,
> I want to be able to open that link in a new browser window.

Try pressing the Shift key while clicking.

Feliz navidad
Roland
--
* * . * \/ . Fr÷hliche Weihnachten! *
. /_\ . __\/__ __ /> * .

MartynB

      23rd Dec 2004
Sorry Roland, that doesn't work either - the link opens in a currently open
browser window

"Roland Bierlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Buenas tardes: *MartynB* escribiˇ:
>
>> When I click on a link in an Internet-aware program such as Outlook
>> Express,
>> I want to be able to open that link in a new browser window.

> Try pressing the Shift key while clicking.
>
> Feliz navidad
> Roland
> --
> * * . * \/ . Fr÷hliche Weihnachten! *
> . /_\ . __\/__ __ /> * .
> * /_._\ _|__||__|__=JK___) * http://oe-faq.de/
> _________I______\|_____|/____/\_/\_________________________________

Alias

      23rd Dec 2004
Change to Firefox and configure it to do what you want to do.

Alias

"MartynB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

:
: "Roland Bierlein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Buenas tardes: *MartynB* escribiˇ:
: >
: >> When I click on a link in an Internet-aware program such as Outlook
: >> Express,
: >> I want to be able to open that link in a new browser window.
: >
: > Try pressing the Shift key while clicking.
: >
: > Feliz navidad
: > Roland
: > --
: > * * . * \/ . Fr÷hliche Weihnachten! *
: > . /_\ . __\/__ __ /> * .
: > * /_._\ _|__||__|__=JK___) * http://oe-faq.de/
: > _________I______\|_____|/____/\_/\_________________________________
:
:

Roland Bierlein

      23rd Dec 2004
Buenas tardes: *MartynB* escribiˇ:

> Sorry Roland, that doesn't work either - the link opens in a currently open
> browser window

It fails me very seldom. Sorry, can't think of anything else.

Feliz navidad
Roland
--
* * . * \/ . Fr÷hliche Weihnachten! *
. /_\ . __\/__ __ /> * .

Don Varnau

      23rd Dec 2004
Hi,
Try disabling any pop-up blockers you have running. Yahoo companion can
cause this. Other pop-up blockers can probably cause it. If running XP SP2,
check Tools in the IE toolbar. If using the Google toolbar, try turning off
the pop-up blocker.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"MartynB" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eJD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I click on a link in an Internet-aware program such as Outlook

Express,
> I want to be able to open that link in a new browser window.
>
> I have unchecked the "Reuse Windows for launching shortcuts" box under
> Internet Options|Advanced|Browsing, but the link still reuses a currently
> open browser window.
>
> Perhaps an IE add-on is corrupting the behavior, if so how do I
> troubleshoot?

Michael Santovec

      23rd Dec 2004
OLEXP: How to Configure OE to Open Links in E-mail Messages in a New Browser Window
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256953

"MartynB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eJD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I click on a link in an Internet-aware program such as Outlook Express, I want to
> be able to open that link in a new browser window.
>
> I have unchecked the "Reuse Windows for launching shortcuts" box under Internet
> Options|Advanced|Browsing, but the link still reuses a currently open browser window.
>
> Perhaps an IE add-on is corrupting the behavior, if so how do I troubleshoot?

MartynB

      24th Dec 2004
Thanks to all for your replies.

What actually solved this was Mike's suggestion:-

OLEXP: How to Configure OE to Open Links in E-mail Messages in a New Browser
Window
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256953 (I followed the section for
Windows 2000, as there was no reference to XP)

The problem was that in the Topic Box there was "system" instead of
"WWW_OpenURL".

Now when clicking on a link in OE, a new browser window opens.

Thanks again.