Returning to a Primary bullet after using secondary one

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsZQ==?=

      11th Jan 2005
Bullets drive me crazy. In PP, I start with my main bullet, enter in some
secondary or tercery bullets such as one finds in an outline form, then I
think of another main point and I can't get back to add another main bullet.
PP wants to add another sub bullet. My only way around this is to enter all
my main points first and then add in secondary bullets. I know I could do an
outline ahead in say Word, and import, but I often like to compose directly
on PP and I can't seem to add an additional bullet on the same slide. I did
look on FAQ for bullet troubleshooting but couldn't find an answer.

Chirag

      11th Jan 2005
You can use the Tab key to increase indent and create a "child" bullet to
the current bullet point. Use Shift+Tab key to decrease indent and create a
new "parent" level bullet point. Does this help?

- Chirag

PowerShow - View multiple shows simultaneously
http://officeone.mvps.org/powershow/powershow.html

"Michele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bullets drive me crazy. In PP, I start with my main bullet, enter in some
> secondary or tercery bullets such as one finds in an outline form, then I
> think of another main point and I can't get back to add another main
> bullet.
> PP wants to add another sub bullet. My only way around this is to enter
> all
> my main points first and then add in secondary bullets. I know I could do
> an
> outline ahead in say Word, and import, but I often like to compose
> directly
> on PP and I can't seem to add an additional bullet on the same slide. I
> did
> look on FAQ for bullet troubleshooting but couldn't find an answer.

David M. Marcovitz

      11th Jan 2005
"=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsZQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Bullets drive me crazy. In PP, I start with my main bullet, enter in
> some secondary or tercery bullets such as one finds in an outline

You can either use TAB/Shift-TAB to adjust level of indent or use the
promote and demote tools on the toolbar. For the TAB/Shift-TAB method,
when you want to increase the indent of a line hit TAB before typing
anything on that line. When you want to decrease the indent (go back to
a main point), hit Shift-TAB before typing anything.

To use the toolbar, you will proably have to adjust your settings. Go to
the Tools menu and choose Customize. In the Options tab, check the box
for "Show Standard and Formatting toolbars on two rows." You should now
see two iconss (one fo them might be faded out) for promoting and
demoting. They have lines representing text with arrows pointing to the
right on one and the left on the other (right after the big A and little
A for increasing and decreasing font size on my toolbar). The one with
the arrow pointing to the right demotes (makes a point into a sub-point)
and the one with the arrow pointing to the left promotes (makes a sub-
point into a main point). These buttons can be used even if you have
already typed text on a line.

--David

--
David M. Marcovitz
Director of Graduate Programs in Educational Technology

> form, then I think of another main point and I can't get back to add
> another main bullet. PP wants to add another sub bullet. My only way
> around this is to enter all my main points first and then add in
> secondary bullets. I know I could do an outline ahead in say Word, and
> import, but I often like to compose directly on PP and I can't seem to
> add an additional bullet on the same slide. I did look on FAQ for
> bullet troubleshooting but couldn't find an answer.

Steve Rindsberg

      11th Jan 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Michele wrote:
> Bullets drive me crazy. In PP, I start with my main bullet, enter in some
> secondary or tercery bullets such as one finds in an outline form, then I
> think of another main point and I can't get back to add another main bullet.
> PP wants to add another sub bullet. My only way around this is to enter all
> my main points first and then add in secondary bullets.

After you press ENTER to start a new paragraph, press SHIFT+TAB to unindent the
text one bullet level, then start typing.

TAB indents a level
SHIFT+TAB unindents a level

You can also use Alt+Shift+Right or Left arrows. I'll forget that w/in the
next five minutes, so write it down. Tab I'll remember. ;-)

If you choose View, Toolbars, Outlining you can use the arrow buttons to
demote/promote (indent/unindent) bullet points (or groups of selected bullet
point text) or move them up/down. Handy.

I know I could do an
> outline ahead in say Word, and import, but I often like to compose directly
> on PP and I can't seem to add an additional bullet on the same slide. I did
> look on FAQ for bullet troubleshooting but couldn't find an answer.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsZQ==?=

      11th Jan 2005
Yes...thank you all. I figured it had to be something simple like that! Do
you know, I looked at 3 different PP books and couldn't find an answer?
Thanks again!

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Michele wrote:
> > Bullets drive me crazy. In PP, I start with my main bullet, enter in some
> > secondary or tercery bullets such as one finds in an outline form, then I
> > think of another main point and I can't get back to add another main bullet.
> > PP wants to add another sub bullet. My only way around this is to enter all
> > my main points first and then add in secondary bullets.

> After you press ENTER to start a new paragraph, press SHIFT+TAB to unindent the
> text one bullet level, then start typing.
>
> TAB indents a level
> SHIFT+TAB unindents a level
>
> You can also use Alt+Shift+Right or Left arrows. I'll forget that w/in the
> next five minutes, so write it down. Tab I'll remember. ;-)
>
> If you choose View, Toolbars, Outlining you can use the arrow buttons to
> demote/promote (indent/unindent) bullet points (or groups of selected bullet
> point text) or move them up/down. Handy.
>
> I know I could do an
> > outline ahead in say Word, and import, but I often like to compose directly
> > on PP and I can't seem to add an additional bullet on the same slide. I did
> > look on FAQ for bullet troubleshooting but couldn't find an answer.

> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> PPTools: www.pptools.com

New Member

      18th Oct 2013
Hi.
Think I have got it with tab and shift tab in Outlook to increase and decrease bullit level. (Office pro plus 2010)
Also I often use Shift Enter to start a new line within the same / active bullet.
I have a challenge of continuing text in the primary bullet after when returning from a sub bullet.
Ex:
1) bullet one
..new line in bullet one
..a) bullet one sub bullet
..b) bullet one sub bullet
..more text in bullet one
2) bullet 2

How do I avoid "more text.." is getting a new primary bullet?