Restrict used physical memory from 2 to 1 GB (for testing purposes)?

Jason Stacy

      10th Nov 2008
Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
(of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?

Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

J.

Bob I

      10th Nov 2008
perhaps MSCONFIG, BOOT.INI tab, Advanced Options, MAXMEM switch

Jason Stacy wrote:

> Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
> In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
> have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
> (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
>
> Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?
>
> J.

Jesco Lincke

      10th Nov 2008
Jason Stacy schrieb:
> Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
> In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
> have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
> (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
>
> Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?
>
> J.

Install a VM and allocate only 1 GB of memory...

John John (MVP)

      10th Nov 2008
You can use the /MAXMEM= switch in the boot.ini file, you have to reboot
for the switch to be enforced.

John

Jason Stacy wrote:

> Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
> In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
> have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
> (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
>
> Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?
>
> J.

John John (MVP)

      10th Nov 2008
What's with the posting here
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support) if you only want a follow
up on microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware?

Jason Stacy wrote:

> Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
> In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
> have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
> (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
>
> Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?
>
> J.

Harry

      11th Nov 2008
On Nov 10, 2:08*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Jason Stacy) wrote:
> Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
> In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
> have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
> (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
>
> Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

boot.ini:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /MAXMEM=1024

Arno Wagner

      11th Nov 2008
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Jason Stacy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
> In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
> have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
> (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?

> Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

> J.

It depends. On some CPUs/Mainboards, you can simply remove 1GB.
On others you cannot and you have to work around that limitation.
"disabling" a stick will either difficult or involve removal
anyways.

The first option is to get 4 256MB sticks and put them in instead.
I think there are no 512MB sticks.

The second option is to have an application reserve 1GB. Note
that this memory needs to be made unswappable. Under Linux and
UNIX memory is locked with "mlock" and friends. Under Windows
it seems this is not reliably possible, but may be enough for
your needs. You can also try to just use 1GB in a way that makes
swapping unlikely, e.g. read 1 byte of each tile in a loop
all the time.

I would say that pysical memory reduction is your best bet.

Arno

andy

      11th Nov 2008
On 10 Nov 2008 22:08:47 GMT, http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jason Stacy) wrote:

>Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
>In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
>have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
>(of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
>
>Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

If you're running Windows XP, you can use the /maxmem= option in
boot.ini.

>J.

Eric Gisin

      11th Nov 2008

news:4918b0ef$0$31344$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...