Restrict LAN Access by User Account on XP Network

psmith@melior.com.au

      4th Jan 2007
Hi,

I have several XP computers at home which are connected by Wireless Lan
to an XP "file server" computer. It is a simple peer to peer workgroups
set up.

I can easily assign a different directory security access for each user
account on the file server computer. A great feature of NTFS for local
logins. This is handy as it also includes remote desktop logins (
similar to terminal services ) All this works well : )

The other way my file server is accessed, is via the Wireless LAN, by
mapping the file server drive on to each of the peer computers. But
when it comes to setting individual LAN security access, it does not
seem to work the same way. Whoever is on the LAN uses a reserved
"Guest" account, regardless of who you are on the lan, or which
computer you may be using to access the file server.

How do I restrict LAN access the same way as individual users on a
local login on the file server. If I restrict the Guest account, it
restricts all LAN access for every PC : (

Is there a way to set up an individual security account for every LAN
user?

I hope to use open VPN, which is a "LAN" over the internet. Will I have
the same problem?

Thanks
Paul

Chuck

      4th Jan 2007
On 3 Jan 2007 17:59:21 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have several XP computers at home which are connected by Wireless Lan
>to an XP "file server" computer. It is a simple peer to peer workgroups
>set up.
>
>I can easily assign a different directory security access for each user
>account on the file server computer. A great feature of NTFS for local
>logins. This is handy as it also includes remote desktop logins (
>similar to terminal services ) All this works well : )
>
>The other way my file server is accessed, is via the Wireless LAN, by
>mapping the file server drive on to each of the peer computers. But
>when it comes to setting individual LAN security access, it does not
>seem to work the same way. Whoever is on the LAN uses a reserved
>"Guest" account, regardless of who you are on the lan, or which
>computer you may be using to access the file server.
>
>How do I restrict LAN access the same way as individual users on a
>local login on the file server. If I restrict the Guest account, it
>restricts all LAN access for every PC : (
>
>Is there a way to set up an individual security account for every LAN
>user?
>
>I hope to use open VPN, which is a "LAN" over the internet. Will I have
>the same problem?
>
>Thanks
>Paul

Paul,

Is your Windows XP Home or Pro? If Pro, you can disable Simple File Sharing,
and setup non-Guest accounts. If Home, you're stuck with SFS and Guest
authentication.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Simple>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...xp.html#Simple

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

psmith@melior.com.au

      5th Jan 2007

Chuck wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2007 17:59:21 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have several XP computers at home which are connected by Wireless Lan
> >to an XP "file server" computer. It is a simple peer to peer workgroups
> >set up.
> >
> >I can easily assign a different directory security access for each user
> >account on the file server computer. A great feature of NTFS for local
> >logins. This is handy as it also includes remote desktop logins (
> >similar to terminal services ) All this works well : )
> >
> >The other way my file server is accessed, is via the Wireless LAN, by
> >mapping the file server drive on to each of the peer computers. But
> >when it comes to setting individual LAN security access, it does not
> >seem to work the same way. Whoever is on the LAN uses a reserved
> >"Guest" account, regardless of who you are on the lan, or which
> >computer you may be using to access the file server.
> >
> >How do I restrict LAN access the same way as individual users on a
> >local login on the file server. If I restrict the Guest account, it
> >restricts all LAN access for every PC : (
> >
> >Is there a way to set up an individual security account for every LAN
> >user?
> >
> >I hope to use open VPN, which is a "LAN" over the internet. Will I have
> >the same problem?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Paul

> Paul,
>
> Is your Windows XP Home or Pro? If Pro, you can disable Simple File Sharing,
> and setup non-Guest accounts. If Home, you're stuck with SFS and Guest
> authentication.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Simple>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...xp.html#Simple
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

psmith@melior.com.au

      5th Jan 2007
All PC's are XP Pro. ( I should have said that earlier, reading my
mind can be hard ! )

psmith@melior.com.au

      5th Jan 2007
Also....

Simple file sharing has been disabled on the file server, so I can use
both the share and security tab

Idea: ..... Do I need to exactly match the user account details ( login
name and password) of each workgroup PC on the LAN to an identical
local user account on the file server? Will this stop the usage of the
Guest Account on the file server to gain access to mapped drives? Then
I could set individual security access on the LAN. I will test later
on.

more info: ... Each workgroup PC on the LAN also has an additional
remote desktop log in account on to the same file server, but the log
in details on the workgroup PC are not currently identical on the file
server.

Hope that makes sense. It is a little bit like having a terminal server
( the remote desktop login) plus having regular LAN access to files by
mapping the drives in the workgroup : )

Thanks : )

Chuck

      5th Jan 2007
On 4 Jan 2007 17:33:26 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>All PC's are XP Pro. ( I should have said that earlier, reading my
>mind can be hard ! )

OK, you're in luck. Disable Simple File Sharing, and setup an identical,
non-Guest, account on each computer.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Advanced>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Advanced

--