How restore Volume Control program?

=?Utf-8?B?YW5nYm9i?=

      10th Sep 2007
Windows XP Home SP2

I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.

It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components list.

Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP installation
disc?

Rich Barry

      10th Sep 2007
Go to Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Check the box Place Volume
Icon in Taskbar, Click Apply, Ok.
"angbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
>
> It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components
> list.
>
> Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP
> installation
> disc?

=?Utf-8?B?YW5nYm9i?=

      11th Sep 2007
Thanks, but since the Volume Control program is absent, checking the "Place
volume icon in the taskbar" produces the error message "Windows cannot
display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program
has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control
Panel."

I cannot find anything resembling "volume" anywhere in Add/Remove Programs
or Windows Components. I think this means I have to figure out which files
to expand from the XP Installation CD disc, how to expand them, and where to
put them in the C partition.

I refuse to re-install Windows. There are too many updates, and the process
would likely converge too slowly.

I'll browse backups, looking for files whose name contains "vol". Is there
a more systematic approach?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Go to Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Check the box Place Volume
> Icon in Taskbar, Click Apply, Ok.
> "angbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Windows XP Home SP2
> >
> > I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
> >
> > It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components
> > list.
> >
> > Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP
> > installation
> > disc?

Poprivet

      11th Sep 2007
angbob wrote:
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
>
> It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components
> list.
>
> Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP
> installation disc?

Go to Add/Remove in Control Panel and click on
Add REmove Windows Components
on the left side of the screen.
There you can reload the mixer, which the control is part of. That
should take care of it. You might need your original CD, but it should be
able to use the i386 folder if you haven 't deleted it.

HTH

Pop`

=?Utf-8?B?YW5nYm9i?=

      11th Sep 2007
I find nothing resembling "mixer" in the Add Remove Windows Components lists.
Ought it be there in XP Home SP2? Does its absence hint at a failure in
some heavy-duty list?

I copied Volume Control from a backup to the Accessories folder, and I
copied sndvol32.exe from dllcache to system32. The Volume Control seems to
work. (I haven't rebooted, to see whether the little speaker shows up in
the tray. I hope it does; it's cute.)

Thanks very much!

Regards, Bob

"Poprivet" wrote:

> angbob wrote:
> > Windows XP Home SP2
> >
> > I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
> >
> > It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components
> > list.
> >
> > Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP
> > installation disc?

> Go to Add/Remove in Control Panel and click on
> Add REmove Windows Components
> on the left side of the screen.
> There you can reload the mixer, which the control is part of. That
> should take care of it. You might need your original CD, but it should be
> able to use the i386 folder if you haven 't deleted it.
>
> HTH
>
> Pop`

D. Kirkpatrick

      13th Sep 2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
angbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I find nothing resembling "mixer" in the Add Remove Windows Components lists.
> Ought it be there in XP Home SP2? Does its absence hint at a failure in
> some heavy-duty list?
>
> I copied Volume Control from a backup to the Accessories folder, and I
> copied sndvol32.exe from dllcache to system32. The Volume Control seems to
> work. (I haven't rebooted, to see whether the little speaker shows up in
> the tray. I hope it does; it's cute.)
>
> Thanks very much!

Not sure why but my little speaker icon disappears with frequency.

I have to go to the control panel, delete it from the task bar and
APPLY, then re-add it to the task bar and APPLY, SAVE to make it come
back, but in a few days it will be gone again.

Haven't figured out why this happens yet.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      13th Sep 2007
Hi angbob,

See:

Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Add It:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

--
Regards,

"angbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Windows XP Home SP2

I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.

It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components list.

Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP installation
disc?

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtaWUgQCBuZXcgd2F5?=

      12th Oct 2007
When check the box to add to my toolbar it replies my volume control program
is not installed. I need that program

"angbob" wrote:

> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
>
> It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components list.
>
> Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP installation
> disc?

=?Utf-8?B?U3VlIEs=?=

      13th Oct 2007

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi angbob,
>
> See:
>
> Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Add It:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "angbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> I discovered the Volume Control program has disappeared.
>
> It's not in the Add or Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components list.
>
> Any idea what files I need to copy back from backups or the XP installation
> disc?
>
> This is exactly what I needed and thank you so much for knowing it. LOL

=?Utf-8?B?amo=?=

      13th Oct 2007
don't know if you've solved your program...but the same thing happened to me.
the "volume control" icon and the program disappeared. i had to reload from
my Dell Windows installation disk after discovering that there was nothing in
the "accessories" folder. to do this click "start", then "all programs",
then "accessories", then "entertainment"....if nothing is in the
entertainment folder then you need to reload.

go to"add/remove windows components" in the "control panel". click on
"accessories and utilities" which was not checked on my computer. then
follow the instructions. it was easy and fast. i don't have a clue what
caused "volume control" to disappear. though maybe switching from "explorer"
to "foxfire" frequently might have something to do with it. if i can fix
this...anyone can.