Restore Default System Security Settings for XP Home

Mitch

      2nd Mar 2009
Hi,
I have XP home. I got a virus that has locked down components of the
computer. I get a access denied when trying to do administrative stuff. Is
there a way to Restore Default System Security Settings for XP Home. I saw
the following command line to do it, but it doesn't work for XP home.
"secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
/verbose"

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch

Malke

      2nd Mar 2009
Mitch wrote:

> Hi,
> I have XP home. I got a virus that has locked down components of the
> computer. I get a access denied when trying to do administrative stuff.
> Is there a way to Restore Default System Security Settings for XP Home. I
> saw the following command line to do it, but it doesn't work for XP home.
> "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
> /verbose"

At this point, your best course of action is to back up your data and do a
clean install of Windows. If you want to spend time on this instead, get
guided help at one of the specialty forums listed below.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075 (FAQ)
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Twayne

      2nd Mar 2009
Malke wrote:
> Mitch wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have XP home. I got a virus that has locked down components of the
>> computer. I get a access denied when trying to do administrative
>> stuff. Is there a way to Restore Default System Security Settings
>> for XP Home. I saw the following command line to do it, but it
>> doesn't work for XP home. "secedit /configure /cfg
>> %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose"

> At this point, your best course of action is to back up your data and
> do a clean install of Windows. If you want to spend time on this
> instead, get guided help at one of the specialty forums listed below.
>
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075 (FAQ)
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
> http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
> http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
> http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
> http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
>
> Malke

It might come down to having to do a clean install, but I think I'd try
a Repair Install first, since it's faster and might well take care of
the issues.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx
As was mentioned, be sure to back up your important data first since
even though this shouldn't damage any data, "stuff" happens. Always
backup before touching the operating system.

Between the two, you get a pretty good full description.

If you do need to do a full install, these are a lot less reading:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm
http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winx...ll-format.html

HTH,

Twayne