Resizing (enlarging) Mac boot partition

Roger Blake

      30th Jul 2009
I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of
the imagination.

I helped a friend install an upgraded hard drive in a Macbook Pro
using a 500GB drive to replace the old 80GB unit. We sucessfully copied
the old drive to the new using "Clonezilla" (a Linux-based disk cloning
utility), but have run into a brick wall as far as utilizing the additional
space, we seem to be stuck with using just the original 80GB. (The Mac
is running OS X 10.4.11.)

Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility
and Gparted, has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for
that matter even add another partition without wiping out the
contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a
trivial operation in Windows and Linux.)

Obviously the worst-case scenario here is to just bite the bullet and
reload everything from scratch to make use of the entire drive, but
we are trying to avoid that! Are there any utility programs available
that can expand the Mac's boot partition, or at least non-destructively add
additional partitions to the drive?

One program we found called "iPartition" seems like it may be able to
do this. Has anyone here used iPartition successfully? Any other
recommendations?

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)

Michael Cecil

      30th Jul 2009
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:41:22 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of
>the imagination.

You might be better off posting to the equivalent mac newsgroup since
csiphs is for PCs.

Roger Blake

      31st Jul 2009
On 2009-07-30, Michael Cecil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You might be better off posting to the equivalent mac newsgroup since
> csiphs is for PCs.

Well, Macs use Intel-based hardware now, and I always viewed this as
generic storage-oriented newsgroup, but your point is well-taken...

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)
"Obama dozed while people froze."

Harry331

      31st Jul 2009
Roger Blake wrote...

>Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility
>and Gparted, has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for
>that matter even add another partition without wiping out the
>contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a

HPFS+ ??? What is that?

Do you mean HFS+ instead ?

Google gave me something below.

HPFS or High Performance File System is a file system created
specifically for the OS/2 operating system

HFS Plus or HFS+ is a file system developed by Apple Inc. to replace
their Hierarchical File System (HFS) as the primary file system used
in Macintosh computers (or other systems running Mac OS).

You may have better chance on a Mac newsgroup / forum.

Roger Blake

      31st Jul 2009
On 2009-07-31, Harry331 <(E-Mail Removed)_> wrote:
> HPFS+ ??? What is that?

HPFS - OS/2 filesystem. Similar name, had a brain fart.

> You may have better chance on a Mac newsgroup / forum.

Correct again, am getting some good responses there.

--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)
"Obama dozed while people froze."

Barry OGrady

      6th Aug 2009
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:41:22 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of
>the imagination.
>
>I helped a friend install an upgraded hard drive in a Macbook Pro
>using a 500GB drive to replace the old 80GB unit. We sucessfully copied
>the old drive to the new using "Clonezilla" (a Linux-based disk cloning
>utility), but have run into a brick wall as far as utilizing the additional
>space, we seem to be stuck with using just the original 80GB. (The Mac
>is running OS X 10.4.11.)
>
>Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility
>and Gparted, has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for
>that matter even add another partition without wiping out the
>contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a
>trivial operation in Windows and Linux.)
>
>Obviously the worst-case scenario here is to just bite the bullet and
>reload everything from scratch to make use of the entire drive, but
>we are trying to avoid that! Are there any utility programs available
>that can expand the Mac's boot partition, or at least non-destructively add
>additional partitions to the drive?
>
>One program we found called "iPartition" seems like it may be able to
>do this. Has anyone here used iPartition successfully? Any other
>recommendations?

Super Dooper.

>--

Barry