Resize system drive HDD

Pleo

      10th Nov 2007
A Server has three 18.2G HDD (wide ultra3 SCSI-3 10kII) and have the
following partition table on W2k Server.

Disk0 (Dynamic, 33.91GB) - C: Capacity 2.93GB FAT D: Capacity 30.94GB NTFS
Disk1 (Dynamic, 16.96GB) - D: Capacity 16.96GB NTFS

Therefore the volume drive now has the following capacity

Volume C: Simple Dynamic FAT Capacity:2.93GB Free:384M
Volume D: Spanned Dynamic NTFS Capacity: 47.9GB Free:10GB

Since system C drive remains only around 400M bytes, what tools can resize
it? Just want to enlarge the system drive for installing windows update etc.
Thanks.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      10th Nov 2007

"Pleo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A Server has three 18.2G HDD (wide ultra3 SCSI-3 10kII) and have the
> following partition table on W2k Server.
>
> Disk0 (Dynamic, 33.91GB) - C: Capacity 2.93GB FAT D: Capacity 30.94GB
> NTFS
> Disk1 (Dynamic, 16.96GB) - D: Capacity 16.96GB NTFS
>
> Therefore the volume drive now has the following capacity
>
> Volume C: Simple Dynamic FAT Capacity:2.93GB Free:384M
> Volume D: Spanned Dynamic NTFS Capacity: 47.9GB Free:10GB
>
> Since system C drive remains only around 400M bytes, what tools can resize
> it? Just want to enlarge the system drive for installing windows update
> etc.
> Thanks.

A system drive of 3 GBytes is grossly inadequate for a server.
15 GBytes would be a more appropriate figure. AFAIK, none
of the current partition managers will touch dynamic partitions.
Your only choice would be to do this:

1. Connect the system disk as a slave disk to some other machine.
2. Use xcopy.exe or robocopy.exe to copy both partitions to
a spare disk. Make sure to include ACLs and hidden files.
3. Test the spare disk in the server.
4. If it works, repartition the old disk, then reverse Step 2.

By the way, in your cross-post you missed the most relevant
newsgroup: Microsoft.public.windows.server.general.

DL

      21st Mar 2008
The 'right' version of PM will work with Server
The 'home' user version has no problems with NTFS

"James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>> "Pleo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> A Server has three 18.2G HDD (wide ultra3 SCSI-3 10kII) and have the
>>> following partition table on W2k Server.
>>>
>>> Disk0 (Dynamic, 33.91GB) - C: Capacity 2.93GB FAT D: Capacity 30.94GB
>>> NTFS
>>> Disk1 (Dynamic, 16.96GB) - D: Capacity 16.96GB NTFS
>>>
>>> Therefore the volume drive now has the following capacity
>>>
>>> Volume C: Simple Dynamic FAT Capacity:2.93GB Free:384M
>>> Volume D: Spanned Dynamic NTFS Capacity: 47.9GB Free:10GB
>>>
>>> Since system C drive remains only around 400M bytes, what tools can
>>> resize
>>> it? Just want to enlarge the system drive for installing windows update
>>> etc.
>>> Thanks.

>> A system drive of 3 GBytes is grossly inadequate for a server.
>> 15 GBytes would be a more appropriate figure. AFAIK, none
>> of the current partition managers will touch dynamic partitions.
>> Your only choice would be to do this:
>>
>> 1. Connect the system disk as a slave disk to some other machine.
>> 2. Use xcopy.exe or robocopy.exe to copy both partitions to
>> a spare disk. Make sure to include ACLs and hidden files.
>> 3. Test the spare disk in the server.
>> 4. If it works, repartition the old disk, then reverse Step 2.
>>
>> By the way, in your cross-post you missed the most relevant
>> newsgroup: Microsoft.public.windows.server.general.

> Question: even though this is a server would Partition Magic or similar
> not allow the resizing without a problem. I have not used it for NTFS but
> have done workstations of W95, 98 & W2k for F16 & F32 formats without a
> glitch. A server is not that different from what I have seen.
>
> JT SoCal

jro

      9th Apr 2008
I managed to do the following.

Original Config, 1 Basic Disk, 2 Partitions
------------------
C:\ - ~4gb
D:\ - ~36gb

1) Backup D: to a different disk L:
2) Change Drive Letter of D: to K:
3) Change Drive Letter of L: to D:
4) Tested D: programs, and all worked
5) Now I can delete the old partition (originally D: but moved to L:
remember)
6) Now that partition is left as unallocated space.
7) Open DISKPART from CMD (support.microsoft.com/kb/300415) and issue the
following commands:

select volume c
extend

8) Pooof, unallocated space is now part of C:, which is now 40gb

Before this, I tried many tools and nothing worked. This though works, and
all is the way I want it. Disk is now 1 partition containing C, and D is a
different disk, and all works.