The requested URL /_derived/nortbots.htm was not found on this server

Ian Bull

      27th Jul 2004
I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via FTP
attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.

Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website rather than
copied there.

If this is the case - how do I 'publish' only this page to the site - the
option File/Publish Web seems to be referring to a complete website rather
than simply a component part such as the Guest Book.

Thank you & Regards
Ian Bull
www.laegamefishing.org.pg

Mark Fitzpatrick

      27th Jul 2004
Ian,
First, if the web contains items that rely on the FrontPage Server
Extensions you can't FTP. The FP Server Extensions are installed as part of
the web server enabled you to publish directly to the web server using http
instead. Certain items require you to publish through http as the host web
server needs to make any adjustments it may need for your pages so that they
work with the extensions on the hosts' server. You don't typically publish
parts of a web, only updates to it. Publishing a web basically moves the
entire entity (or the updated parts) to the remote server.

Hope tihs helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Ian Bull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u13D79%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
> FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via FTP
> attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.
>
> Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
> solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website rather

than
> copied there.
>
> If this is the case - how do I 'publish' only this page to the site - the
> option File/Publish Web seems to be referring to a complete website rather
> than simply a component part such as the Guest Book.
>
> Thank you & Regards
> Ian Bull
> www.laegamefishing.org.pg

Ian Bull

      28th Jul 2004
Thanks Mark & please excuse my ignorance which obviously is compounding my
difficulties exponentially ;-)

Do I take it then, that I need to tidy up the 'dog's breakfast' that has
grown on my computer in my web directory, delete the files already on the
web server & then 'publish' to the server - which would be monumental as we
only have relatively unreliable dial-up & there is 60MB to shift

OR do I simply open my index & 'publish' to the web server - will that
process simply pass over the identical content already there & transfer the
new content? - to try & short circuit some of the questions I have just now
tried to do just that, 'publishing to' - http://www.laegamefishing.org.pg. I
get the response -
Unable to open 'http://www.laegamefishing.org.pg' with list of suggested
reason, the main one being 'The web server may not have FrontPage Server
Extensions installed.
My ISP assures me he does have FP Ext installed. ??

Do I assume that once this hurdle is overcome that I will then be asked for
the username & password to get access to the site?

My next question - when I get the above problems sorted, I am apprehensive
about what FP will in fact 'publish' - I have three 'webs' in sub-dirs under
'My Webs' - does opening the index page of one of them tell FP that this is
the specific web to be published. I have never discovered how to get FP to
accept this as my 'default' web - it always opens noncommittally in 'My
Webs'

Enough for now!
thanks once again & regards
ian bull

"Mark Fitzpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Ian,
First, if the web contains items that rely on the FrontPage Server
Extensions you can't FTP. The FP Server Extensions are installed as part of
the web server enabled you to publish directly to the web server using http
instead. Certain items require you to publish through http as the host web
server needs to make any adjustments it may need for your pages so that they
work with the extensions on the hosts' server. You don't typically publish
parts of a web, only updates to it. Publishing a web basically moves the
entire entity (or the updated parts) to the remote server.

Hope tihs helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Ian Bull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u13D79%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
> FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via FTP
> attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.
>
> Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
> solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website rather

than
> copied there.
>
> If this is the case - how do I 'publish' only this page to the site - the
> option File/Publish Web seems to be referring to a complete website rather
> than simply a component part such as the Guest Book.
>
> Thank you & Regards
> Ian Bull
> www.laegamefishing.org.pg

=?Utf-8?B?d3A=?=

      28th Jul 2004
In your remote site properties, publishing, you can elect to publish subwebs or not.

"Ian Bull" wrote:

> [...]
> entire entity (or the updated parts) to the remote server.
>
> Hope tihs helps,
> Mark Fitzpatrick
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>
> "Ian Bull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u13D79%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
> > FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via FTP
> > attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.
> >
> > Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
> > solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website rather

> than
> > copied there.
> >
> > If this is the case - how do I 'publish' only this page to the site - the
> > option File/Publish Web seems to be referring to a complete website rather
> > than simply a component part such as the Guest Book.

=?Utf-8?B?d3A=?=

      28th Jul 2004
To expand on that, you don't want to publish any of the discussion files that were created on your local because it will overwrite the file that was created/modified by FP on your server and the replaced files will go to cyber heaven. Edit the file directly online, and if you need to back it up, publish just that 1 file to your local system.

"wp" wrote:

> [...]
> > entire entity (or the updated parts) to the remote server.
> >
> > Hope tihs helps,
> > Mark Fitzpatrick
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> >
> > "Ian Bull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:u13D79%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
> > > FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via FTP
> > > attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.
> > >
> > > Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
> > > solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website rather

> > than
> > > copied there.
> > >
> > > If this is the case - how do I 'publish' only this page to the site - the
> > > option File/Publish Web seems to be referring to a complete website rather
> > > than simply a component part such as the Guest Book.

Ian Bull

      30th Jul 2004
Thank you,

I think I will need to read some 'how-to's' on 'publishing' before I proceed
much further - up until now I had simply used FP for creating & editing
basic pages! Therefore FP has never been 'told' that .....My
Webs/xxxx/index.htm is the root of this website - and I don't know how to
tell it - or whether I should at this advanced point!!

One last query - do I understand correctly - having a site which has around
60MB content so far that has simply been placed on the server via FTP - i.e.
never 'published' and now would like a Guest Book requiring Extensions -
instead of trying to publish the whole site from index.htm onward - can I
establish the Guest Book as a sub web (i.e. mysite/GuestBook) & simply
'publish' that?

Regards
Ian Bull

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"wp" wrote:

> [...]

> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> >
> > "Ian Bull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:u13D79%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have created a Guest Book (Notice Board) for my website using the
> > > FrontPage (XP) standard template & after transferring to website via

FTP
> > > attempts to post messages via the page invoked the error message.
> > >
> > > Checking on previous posts on this subject appear to suggest that the
> > > solution is that the web page must be 'published' to the website

rather
> > than
> > > copied there.
> > >
> > > If this is the case - how do I 'publish' only this page to the site -

the
> > > option File/Publish Web seems to be referring to a complete website

rather
> > > than simply a component part such as the Guest Book.

Stefan B Rusynko

      30th Jul 2004
No
The root web must have been published or created under the FP SE in order for a subweb to be created or published under it in FP
- your host needs to support and apply the FP SE on the server in order for you to use them
- if you have been using FTP, they are corrupt and need to be reapplied by your host

If you are working on your local web as say ...My Webs/xxxx/, then xxxx is the rootweb

For publishing information see http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;198523