Replacing a mirrored drive with a larger sized drive

James

      10th Sep 2004
Can i replace a mirrored drive with a larger sized one? I want to then
syncronize the drives and remove the remaining smaller drive and replace
that with a larger drive. Then i want to create another partion on the new
unalicated space. is this plan posible? thought i would ask before i buy my
two new large drives.

--
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Colon Terminus

      11th Sep 2004

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can i replace a mirrored drive with a larger sized one? I want to then
> syncronize the drives and remove the remaining smaller drive and replace
> that with a larger drive. Then i want to create another partion on the new
> unalicated space. is this plan posible? thought i would ask before i buy

my
> two new large drives.
>

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)

It probably depends on your RAID controller.

Typically there is NO unallocated space on a mirrored drive. If you mirror
two drives of different sizes, the mirror is sized to the smaller of the two
drives and the remaining space on the larger hard disk is unaccessable and
unusable.

James

      13th Sep 2004
non raid, just software mirroring. and i will replace both drives with
larger ones. please read my last post again. basicly i want to replace one
drive then mirror it, then replace the other drive and mirror it. both
drives will then be replaced and i will have unalolcated space right?

news:i3J0d.1180612$(E-Mail Removed)...