Repair Windows XP pro failed

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

      1st Jul 2006
Tried to do XP repair installation since I was getting a "stop: c000021a
{fatal system error}" when booting up my laptop. Used the repair
installation instructions on the Microsoft support page, but during the
process got the message in the System Setup log:

Error
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\System21\initpki.dll
because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 5 (5)

Error:
The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code
is fffffdef.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffdef in the
message file for syssetup.dll

Fatal Error:
Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The
setup log files should contain more information.

Before trying to run the XP repair I was able to boot into Safe Mode, but
now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be much
appreciated! Thanks.

Rich Barry

      1st Jul 2006
Mike, check out this mskb Article. You can use the Recovery Console.
Check here also
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823303
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/