Repair Excel 2003 after XP Pro SP2 install

Craig Leonardi

      28th Aug 2004
Hi All,

I posted this in microsoft.public.officeupdate and had no response.
I hope someone will offer some advice.

Thanks....

I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Pro. All of the Office 2003 SBE
apps except Excel run fine. When I launch Excel, an install window
opens. Shortly thereafter, I am prompted for the location of SKU1CA.cab

I can't find this file anywhere on my PC. There is, however, an
MSOCache directory loaded with all sorts of .cab files.

The computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-TR3AP. It was purchased with Office
2003 preloaded. I registered (purchased)the software several months ago.

1) Where can I find SKU1CA.cab ?
2) Is install confused between a preloaded version of Office 2003 and
one that was purchased with physical media?
3) How can I reinstall Office 2003 and preserve / recover my
internet-purchased license?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

Craig

Nick Hodge

      30th Aug 2004
Craig

I've search all the knowledge base and cannot find anything related to this.
I suspect it needs a file from the Excel setup. This, with pre-installation
is usually held in a folder on the local drive if you were send no
installation media. This varies by OEM manufacturer so I would suspect, if
you have tried a search (Including hidden files) for this, that you contact
Sony for support

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Craig Leonardi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I posted this in microsoft.public.officeupdate and had no response.
> I hope someone will offer some advice.
>
> Thanks....
>
> I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Pro. All of the Office 2003 SBE apps
> except Excel run fine. When I launch Excel, an install window opens.
> Shortly thereafter, I am prompted for the location of SKU1CA.cab
>
> I can't find this file anywhere on my PC. There is, however, an MSOCache
> directory loaded with all sorts of .cab files.
>
> The computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-TR3AP. It was purchased with Office 2003
> preloaded. I registered (purchased)the software several months ago.
>
> 1) Where can I find SKU1CA.cab ?
> 2) Is install confused between a preloaded version of Office 2003 and one
> that was purchased with physical media?
> 3) How can I reinstall Office 2003 and preserve / recover my
> internet-purchased license?
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
> Thank you
>
> Craig

New Member

      4th Mar 2006
I also have exactly the same problem, on a Sony Vaio VGN-BX-196SP. I have activated MS Office 2003 SBE over the internet and now all apps except Excel work. WHen i try to run Excel it starts the office installer and gives the message SKU1CA.CAB is missing. Has anybody managed to fix this yet????

New Member

      9th Jun 2006
Hi. Have any of you that have written about this sku1ca.CAB dilemma ever solved the problem? I am trying to export Outlook 2003 (Office SBE 2003 ... OEM version) files/email to ANY non-Microsoft format. When I try to do CSV or Tab-Delimited, Outlook issues the following error message:
Microsoft Office Outlook cannot start the required translator. THis feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?
SO, WHEN I CLICK ON "YES", I get the installer to give the error:
Intallation Error: File not Found

A required installation file SKU1CA.CAB could not be found

Original Installation Source Required:

If you installed Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 from a CD, please insert your CD. If you installed Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 over your computer network, please browse to the installation source on your network. Once you have located your installation source, click OK.

Of course, this does nothing. Your can clisk OK 100 times and nothing happens. If you click CANCEL, you have to go through the same procedure when you try to export the email to a non-PST file.

HELP!!!

New Member

      10th Jun 2006
I managed to fix it by downloading the full installation version of the office update service pack from the microsoft update site. It was a while ago now so i don't recall exactly what the link is, otherwise i'd post it here. good luck

New Member

      10th Jun 2006
I had to completely reinstall the program... and do a FULL installation. When I tried to do a "typical" or custom" install, it didn't include the translator, and the same SKU1CA.CAB error occured when I tried to add the translator later.

Just do a FULL INSTALLATION of SBE OFFICE 2003 if you want to avoid the Microsoft Blues (creen)!

Last edited by sku1caCABsucks; 10th Jun 2006 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: readability

New Member

      26th Jun 2007
There is plenty of BS about this one so here is the working solution:

Office 2003 is asking for the location of SKUxxx.CAB from the install disks, but won’t find it when you provide the location of the install CD:

Go into the registry:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Delivery

Change CDCache to 0 (not 1 or 2)

Close the registry and open the program - that's it!

Last edited by dsimmons; 26th Jun 2007 at 10:19 PM..

New Member

      12th Dec 2009
Way to go! The regedit solved the problem!!!

New Member

      15th Aug 2011
To: dsimmonns....8-15-2011
Your fix for the missing SKU1CA.CAB file to make my 2003 Excel work......worked great & I even figured out how to use it ) I am NOT a computer guy.
Thanks for your post & to the guy that posted behind you how to get in to the registry.
Take care
Tom

New Member

      12th Jan 2013
dsimmons, you are a computer god. after doing microsoft updates, none of my office programs would open my docs. your fix worked perfectly. i'm in awe!