Renamed a server

Cheeseburger

      22nd Aug 2003
My new boss had the great idea of re-naming our file share server which also
run's DNS active directory integrated.
Logon scripts were adjusted for the new name.
Now all the drive mappings become unavailable, we have to keep refreshing
about four times and they come back for about five minutes.
Any clue what might be wrong?

TIM ROBERTS

      23rd Aug 2003
Hi cheese,
Have you tried deleting the mapped drives and recreating them?Have you
checked the SOA record on the DNS server to make sure they reflect the new
server name? Ther is a setting for Keep alive on the Client and auto
disconnect on the server. More information would be usfull here. Are you
looking in IE when they disconnect on the server or are they disconnecting
on the client?

"Cheeseburger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My new boss had the great idea of re-naming our file share server which

also
> run's DNS active directory integrated.
> Logon scripts were adjusted for the new name.
> Now all the drive mappings become unavailable, we have to keep refreshing
> about four times and they come back for about five minutes.
> Any clue what might be wrong?

Cheeseburger

      23rd Aug 2003
Yes, I've deleted the drive mappings & re-created them, same effect. Every
machine in our domain is effected, even the new ones added after the server
re-naming. Also we use a logon.vbs script to map the drives, and only those
maps to the re-named server have the problem.

The Start of Authority record for Primary server reflects the new name.

Client settings for Keep alive or auto re-connect: I only remember those in
my Novel/Win9x days not in my Current Win2k life... Where are these settings
found?

I'm looking in Windows Explorer when the drives drop out. F5 to refresh
about 5 or 6 times brings them back.

Another note, when I map the server share with the IP address they stay
stable but some microsoft products (like access) compline that its an
un-secure connection and will not open the file.

Domain name = homeoffice.rubys.com
Server name = hawkeye
IP's 10.1.0.2, 10.1.0.3
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.1.0.1
Name Type Data
(same as parent folder) Host 10.1.0.2
(same as parent folder) Host 10.1.0.3
(same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger [10] homeoffice.rubys.com
(same as parent folder) Name Server hawkeye.homeoffice.rubys.com
(same as parent folder) Start of Authority [26633],
hawkeye.homeoffice.rubys.com., admin.homeoffice.rubys.com.

news:WfA1b.437$(E-Mail Removed)...