removipng inet 8 and returnipng to inet 5

jim

      2nd May 2012
I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.

Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
8.

So I did.

Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.

Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
boot, but for all third party application starts in session.

Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.

The new .net framework does.

How do i return to Inet 5 from here?

jim

Bruce Hagen

      2nd May 2012
"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.
>
> Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
> 8.
>
> So I did.
>
> Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.
>
> Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
> boot, but for all third party application starts in session.
>
> Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.
>
> The new .net framework does.
>
> How do i return to Inet 5 from here?
>

> jim

XP (this forum) never had IE5, IE6 was the built-in IE program so you will
need to be more specific.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

jim

      2nd May 2012
No doubt you feel better now

On Tue, 1 May 2012 16:51:18 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
"Bruce Hagen" <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote

>"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.
>>
>> Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
>> 8.
>>
>> So I did.
>>
>> Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.
>>
>> Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
>> boot, but for all third party application starts in session.
>>
>> Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.
>>
>> The new .net framework does.
>>
>> How do i return to Inet 5 from here?
>>

>> jim

>XP (this forum) never had IE5, IE6 was the built-in IE program so you will
>need to be more specific.

Paul

      2nd May 2012
jim wrote:
> I hardly ever use internet explorer. I never updated it from Inet 5.
>
> Facebook claimed i would have a 'better experience' if i updated to inet
> 8.
>
> So I did.
>
> Apparently it also installed .net framework 3.0 sp2.
>
> Apparently it also installed the super "go slow" module. Not just for
> boot, but for all third party application starts in session.
>
> Inet explr 8 does not show up in "add/remove" programs.
>
> The new .net framework does.
>
> How do i return to Inet 5 from here?
>

> jim

It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
these would be your recipes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforxp

"To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Exit all programs.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Add or Remove Programs.
4. In the list of currently installed programs,
click "Windows Internet Explorer 8", and then click Remove.

Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 is not included in the
list of installed updates, you can try the alternative steps
for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003 .
5. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.
"

"Alternative steps for Windows XP [i.e. if first recipe fails to work]

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press Enter.
4. Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
5. Press Enter to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
6. After the program is removed, restart your computer.
"

The second procedure uses a Command Prompt window. What they're
claiming, is there is an "ie8" folder on your C: drive, and
down in there, is an "spuninst.exe" file. You run that file
from the Command Prompt, by pasting that string with the
percents in it. The %windir% gets converted to C:\WINDOWS
when the environment variable is translated. So it
could be in effect

C:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

and that is the same thing that gets executed if there had
been an Add/Remove entry for IE8 listed. It would be
executing that same file. The Command Prompt window will
whine, if that file doesn't exist when you try to run it.
You can use the file explorer to check for it.

*******

I have this bookmark to offer you. It's a recipe to get
IE6 SP1. I think that's what I'm running here on some
machines. The idea is, using this method, to prepare a
directory with whatever is needed for IE6 SP1, so it
doesn't need to download any additional stuff. But seeing
as how you've been a "victim" so far, I wouldn't be
doing this today :-) Wait a week, until you've got
the bad taste out of your mouth :-)

http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

Note that the web site, also hate IE6 SP1, and will be
making statements that "your experience will be so much
better, if you install something more bloated". So it's
not like the abuse from these sites will stop or anything,
if you switch to IE6 SP1.

HTH,
Paul

Bruce Hagen

      2nd May 2012

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No doubt you feel better now

I am not a mind reader. <Plonk>
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

jim

      2nd May 2012
On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote

> [...]

>whine, if that file doesn't exist when you try to run it.
>You can use the file explorer to check for it.
>
>*******
>
>I have this bookmark to offer you. It's a recipe to get
>IE6 SP1. I think that's what I'm running here on some
>machines. The idea is, using this method, to prepare a
>directory with whatever is needed for IE6 SP1, so it
>doesn't need to download any additional stuff. But seeing
>as how you've been a "victim" so far, I wouldn't be
>doing this today :-) Wait a week, until you've got
>the bad taste out of your mouth :-)
>
>http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html
>
>Note that the web site, also hate IE6 SP1, and will be
>making statements that "your experience will be so much
>better, if you install something more bloated". So it's
>not like the abuse from these sites will stop or anything,

Thanks, Paul.

I installed SP3 *before* IE8.

lemme check to make sure I got the spuninst.exe

(fixed pitch font will look better here)

~~~~~
¦ +--Help
¦ +--ie8
¦ ¦ +--spuninst
¦ +--ime
¦ +--inf
¦ +--Installer
¦ +--java
¦ +--l2schemas
¦ +--Media
¦ +--Microsoft.NET
¦ +--Minidump
¦ +--msagent
¦ +--msapps
¦ +--mui
spuninst .inf updspapi .dll
spuninst .txt spuninst .exe
iecustom .dll
spuninst.exe.ma?
~~~~

Yup. I am good to go.

After that i will remove .net framework 3.0, sp2 if it is still there.

Thanks! It is amazing how we can grow to depend things (like "Add/Remove"
programs)

Thanks again,

jim

jim

      2nd May 2012
On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote

>It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
>could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
>these would be your recipes.

Done. Uninstalled IE8 via spuinst.exe in the subdirectory.
Restarted Machine.
Checked to see if the .net framework 3.0, sp2 was still there -- it was.
Uninstalled it via "Add/Remove" programs.
Restarted machine.

Checked a win 3.1 app, Lotus 5.0, that took over five minutes -- no
kidding, by the clock -- to start this morning, and it gave the splash
screen near immediately and was ready to run in under 10 seconds.

jim

glee

      2nd May 2012
"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote
>

>>It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
>>could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
>>these would be your recipes.

> Done. Uninstalled IE8 via spuinst.exe in the subdirectory.
> Restarted Machine.
> Checked to see if the .net framework 3.0, sp2 was still there -- it
> was.
> Uninstalled it via "Add/Remove" programs.
> Restarted machine.
> ..
>
> Checked a win 3.1 app, Lotus 5.0, that took over five minutes -- no
> kidding, by the clock -- to start this morning, and it gave the splash
> screen near immediately and was ready to run in under 10 seconds.
>
> jim

Your initial problem with slow response after installing .NET Framework
3 may have simply been due to a normal process after a .NET
installation, that can cause high (up to 100%) CPU usage while new
assemblies are compiled after the installation. There is a command you
can issue to have the compiling done at once after the installation, so
it only takes a few minutes.

Rather than uninstalling it, you might have been able to simply wait for
mscorsvw.exe to finish its maintenance. Of course, if you have no
programs that run on .NET Framework 3, then you don't need it installed
at all.

IE8 probably didn't have anything to do with your issue.... unless you
installed it with the anti-virus app enabled and/or while running other
programs.

What is mscorsvw.exe and why is it eating up my CPU? What is this new
CLR Optimization Service? -
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidnotario...27/412838.aspx

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

jim

      2nd May 2012
On Wed, 2 May 2012 00:06:07 -0400, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
"glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote

>"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:56:50 -0400, in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote
>>

>>>It says, if you had installed SP3 after installing IE8, then IE8
>>>could not be removed. It doesn't sound like you did that. So
>>>these would be your recipes.

>> Done. Uninstalled IE8 via spuinst.exe in the subdirectory.
>> Restarted Machine.
>> Checked to see if the .net framework 3.0, sp2 was still there -- it
>> was.
>> Uninstalled it via "Add/Remove" programs.
>> Restarted machine.
>> ..
>>
>> Checked a win 3.1 app, Lotus 5.0, that took over five minutes -- no
>> kidding, by the clock -- to start this morning, and it gave the splash
>> screen near immediately and was ready to run in under 10 seconds.
>>
>> jim

>Your initial problem with slow response after installing .NET Framework
>3 may have simply been due to a normal process after a .NET
>installation, that can cause high (up to 100%) CPU usage while new
>assemblies are compiled after the installation. There is a command you
>can issue to have the compiling done at once after the installation, so
>it only takes a few minutes.
>
>Rather than uninstalling it, you might have been able to simply wait for
>mscorsvw.exe to finish its maintenance. Of course, if you have no
>programs that run on .NET Framework 3, then you don't need it installed
>at all.
>
>IE8 probably didn't have anything to do with your issue.... unless you
>installed it with the anti-virus app enabled and/or while running other
>programs.
>
>What is mscorsvw.exe and why is it eating up my CPU? What is this new
>CLR Optimization Service? -
>http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidnotario...27/412838.aspx

Thanks Glee, and i have no doubt you are correct for a standard IE8
installation.

The machine had been through 2 reboots and about 36 hours of run time
after the install and before the deinstall of the two apps (IE 8 and .net
framework 3.0,sp2).

In other words, all recompiles and "settling downs" *should* have occurred
by that time.

Before i uninstalled I checked the NGEN status -- it was on "manual" start
-- through services.msc. Before that, I had also checked task manager and
NGEN was not a running service.

When i did uninstall via c:\windows\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe, i had a
friend, a former Lenova Tech, on the phone in case I ran into an "Uh oh"
situation.

There were no "uh oh" situations. Spuninst.exe of ie8 gave me a nice
progressive dialogue GUI of the uninstall and ended with 'restart
required".

When i removed the .net framework 3.0,sp2, it did not request a restart
but i did so anyway to dump any memory residuals.

With Paul's help in pointing to the IE8 spuinst.exe, all i can say is
all's well that ends well.

Totally BTW -- The tech guy also gave me a rundown on the ie versions
shipped with XP -- i had an SP1 installation disk and it still had inet5,
he said inet 6 shipped with install disks starting with sp2 release. The
2003 sp2 CD i applied did not install IE6. Nor did the third party SP3
which i applied two months or so ago update IE.

jim

glee

      2nd May 2012
"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Totally BTW -- The tech guy also gave me a rundown on the ie versions
> shipped with XP -- i had an SP1 installation disk and it still had
> inet5,
> he said inet 6 shipped with install disks starting with sp2 release.
> The
> 2003 sp2 CD i applied did not install IE6. Nor did the third party
> SP3
> which i applied two months or so ago update IE.

All I can say about this is you and/or your friend is mistaken. XP from
its first version shipped with IE6, not IE5. IE5 was never even
supported for XP and would not install on XP. SP2 added the pop-up
blocker to IE6.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009