removing win 98 partition in a multiboot configuration

Bill

      13th Oct 2003
I now have Windows 98 installed in my first partition and
Windows XP Pro onstalled in my 3rd partition in the same
physical drive. How do I remove the Windows 98 partition
without destroying the boot file in the first partition
for Windows Xp Pro. Note that I had Win 98 installed
first and later bought and installed Win XP Pro and
installed it in the 3rd partition. I now no longer wish
to have Windows 98 installed.

Rich Barry

      14th Oct 2003
Bill, easiest thing to do is Delete everything in the Win98 Partition
except these 5 files. Ntldr, Cmldr, Ntdetect.com, Boot.ini and
Bootsect.dos. In Win98 go to Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options.
Click on Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected
operating system files. Then you
will be able to see these 5 files. To eliminate the boot menu on
startup, in WinXP rt click on MyComputer
select Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery-Settings>Edit. Change
the timeout=30 value to 1.
news:055601c391bc$c07491d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I now have Windows 98 installed in my first partition and
> Windows XP Pro onstalled in my 3rd partition in the same
> physical drive. How do I remove the Windows 98 partition
> without destroying the boot file in the first partition
> for Windows Xp Pro. Note that I had Win 98 installed
> first and later bought and installed Win XP Pro and
> installed it in the 3rd partition. I now no longer wish
> to have Windows 98 installed.

Troy Thomas

      14th Oct 2003
Is it possible to use the same method to reinstall win98
after already having upgraded to winXPpro? (with the same
configaration as discribed below)
I have XPpro installed on the third partition (NTFS), and
win98 is not booting up unless in safe mode. I would like
to wipe my first partion (with win98 on it), and
reinstall win98. But i dont want to have to reinstall
winXP again (on the third partition) to access the duel
boot menu and winXP.
Can I copy the five files listed below and replace them
on the first (win98 partition) after reinstalling win98?
Thanks
Troy