Removing a startup entry in System Config Utility

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cml4VVNB?=

      6th Sep 2006
How can I remove a starup entry from within the System Configuration Utility?
I’ve removed a program that was previously set to launch at startup. The
program has been removed yet still appears under the startup tab in System
Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?

Thanks.
PatrixUSA

Rock

      6th Sep 2006
PatrixUSA wrote:

> How can I remove a starup entry from within the System Configuration Utility?
> I’ve removed a program that was previously set to launch at startup. The
> program has been removed yet still appears under the startup tab in System
> Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?
>
> Thanks.
> PatrixUSA

Item's unchecked in msconfig are located here in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services

You can manually delete the entry that references the program using
regedit or run a tweak from Kelly's site at
Line 148: Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup

Read the info at the top of the page before running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cml4VVNB?=

      6th Sep 2006
Actually I deleted the reg key referenced by the entry in Sys Config Utility
and now it’s not there so I think I got it. No keys appear in your entries,
probably because there are now no unchecked entries as I am now starting the
system normally.

I uninstalled a program called InstallShield that was constantly pestering
me to update various programs even though no programs were marked to update.
I think this is only an OEM installed program and not system critical.
Please advise is this is something critical.

Thanks Rock.

"Rock" wrote:

> PatrixUSA wrote:
>
> > How can I remove a starup entry from within the System Configuration Utility?
> > I’ve removed a program that was previously set to launch at startup. The
> > program has been removed yet still appears under the startup tab in System
> > Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > PatrixUSA

> Item's unchecked in msconfig are located here in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services
>
> You can manually delete the entry that references the program using
> regedit or run a tweak from Kelly's site at
> Line 148: Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup
>
> Read the info at the top of the page before running the edit.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

      6th Sep 2006
PatrixUSA wrote:

> Actually I deleted the reg key referenced by the entry in Sys Config Utility
> and now it’s not there so I think I got it. No keys appear in your entries,
> probably because there are now no unchecked entries as I am now starting the
> system normally.
>
> I uninstalled a program called InstallShield that was constantly pestering
> me to update various programs even though no programs were marked to update.
> I think this is only an OEM installed program and not system critical.
> Please advise is this is something critical.
>
> Thanks Rock.

Yes some programs use that as a auto updater. It gets set in the start
up and goes out to see if there are any updates for that program. It's
fine to take it out.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Bruce Chambers

      7th Sep 2006
PatrixUSA wrote:
> How can I remove a starup entry from within the System Configuration Utility?
> I’ve removed a program that was previously set to launch at startup. The
> program has been removed yet still appears under the startup tab in System
> Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?
>
> Thanks.
> PatrixUSA

Msconfig was designed to be a troubleshooting tool, not a "startup
configurer." Use MSConfig to determine the location of the command that
is attempting to start the program, and remove it. To cease the
selective startup notifications, either return your settings to the way
they were, or permanently remove the undesirable programs from your
startup configuration.

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the system registry, primarily in
the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm