removing protected files

=?Utf-8?B?dGVnYW1pMg==?=

      23rd Feb 2005
Hi! I recently tried to erase some files that I no longer need. I uninstalled
a program and after the folder stayed there with a dll file in it. I tried to
get rid of the folder but a pop up window tells me that this file is either
write protect or currently in use. I checked with task manager and it is not
in use. How can I gain access to removing this file? And also do everything I
want to do? (get rid of the security feature)

Wesley Vogel

      24th Feb 2005
Does this dll file have a name?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
tegami2 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Hi! I recently tried to erase some files that I no longer need. I
> uninstalled a program and after the folder stayed there with a dll
> file in it. I tried to get rid of the folder but a pop up window
> tells me that this file is either write protect or currently in use.
> I checked with task manager and it is not in use. How can I gain
> access to removing this file? And also do everything I want to do?
> (get rid of the security feature)

=?Utf-8?B?dGVnYW1pMg==?=

      24th Feb 2005
Yes it is ShellExt.dll and the full path is c:Program Files\Advanced System
Optimizer\ShellExt.dll

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Does this dll file have a name?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> tegami2 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi! I recently tried to erase some files that I no longer need. I
> > uninstalled a program and after the folder stayed there with a dll
> > file in it. I tried to get rid of the folder but a pop up window
> > tells me that this file is either write protect or currently in use.
> > I checked with task manager and it is not in use. How can I gain
> > access to removing this file? And also do everything I want to do?
> > (get rid of the security feature)

Malke

      24th Feb 2005
tegami2 wrote:

> Yes it is ShellExt.dll and the full path is c:Program Files\Advanced
> System Optimizer\ShellExt.dll
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Does this dll file have a name?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> tegami2 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>> > Hi! I recently tried to erase some files that I no longer need. I
>> > uninstalled a program and after the folder stayed there with a dll
>> > file in it. I tried to get rid of the folder but a pop up window
>> > tells me that this file is either write protect or currently in
>> > use. I checked with task manager and it is not in use. How can I
>> > gain access to removing this file? And also do everything I want to
>> > do? (get rid of the security feature)

So you installed one of those unnecessary and sometimes harmful
"optimizer" programs. You've uninstalled it, but the uninstallation
program was incomplete. Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8
key to get to the proper menu to select Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode,
you will be able to delete the remains of Advanced System Optimizer. It
would be wise to also do scans with Ad-aware and Spybot Search &
Destroy. Get those free programs at www.majorgeeks.com, install them,
update them, and do scans with both (not simultaneously!) in Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

=?Utf-8?B?dGVnYW1pMg==?=

      25th Feb 2005

"Malke" wrote:

> tegami2 wrote:
>
> > Yes it is ShellExt.dll and the full path is c:Program Files\Advanced
> > System Optimizer\ShellExt.dll
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Does this dll file have a name?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> >> tegami2 <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> >>

> So you installed one of those unnecessary and sometimes harmful
> "optimizer" programs. You've uninstalled it, but the uninstallation
> program was incomplete. Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8
> key to get to the proper menu to select Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode,
> you will be able to delete the remains of Advanced System Optimizer. It
> would be wise to also do scans with Ad-aware and Spybot Search &
> Destroy. Get those free programs at www.majorgeeks.com, install them,
> update them, and do scans with both (not simultaneously!) in Safe Mode.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

I already tried the safe mode option but still can't delete the stupid file!
I am just trying to repair what my girlfriend did!

Do you have another option?

Malke

      25th Feb 2005
tegami2 wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> tegami2 wrote:
>>
>> > Yes it is ShellExt.dll and the full path is c:Program
>> > Files\Advanced System Optimizer\ShellExt.dll

>> So you installed one of those unnecessary and sometimes harmful
>> "optimizer" programs. You've uninstalled it, but the uninstallation
>> program was incomplete. Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the
>> F8 key to get to the proper menu to select Safe Mode. Once in Safe
>> Mode, you will be able to delete the remains of Advanced System
>> Optimizer. It would be wise to also do scans with Ad-aware and Spybot
>> Search & Destroy. Get those free programs at www.majorgeeks.com,
>> install them, update them, and do scans with both (not
>> simultaneously!) in Safe Mode.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>>

> I already tried the safe mode option but still can't delete the stupid
> file! I am just trying to repair what my girlfriend did!
>
> Do you have another option?

Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, which will give you Safe
Mode without explorer.exe. Navigate to where the file is and see if you
can delete it from the command line.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

=?Utf-8?B?dGVnYW1pMg==?=

      26th Feb 2005
Hi! I recently tried to erase some files that I no longer need.
I uninstalled a program and after the folder stayed there with a
dll file in it. I tried to get rid of the folder but a pop up
window tells me that this file is either write protect or
currently in use. I checked with task manager and it is not in
use. How can I gain access to removing this file? And also do
everything I want to do? (get rid of the security feature)

Teg

"Malke" wrote:

Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, which will give you Safe
Mode without explorer.exe. Navigate to where the file is and see if you
can delete it from the command line.

Malke

Thanks Malke! It worked! But I also have 2 more questions... When in command
promt, I could not delete the directory with RMDIR because the system was
splitting the directory name. I had to delete the file and then delete the
directory in regular windows. The Command Prompt was asking me if I wanted to
delete Advanced, System and Optimizer separatly but the directory name was
"Advanced System Optimizer" with normal spacebar spaces in between each word.
How can I overcome this? And I also heard of a command that you put in the Pc
that removes the windows standard security feature so you can delete or
modify everything without going in safe mode. Are you aware of it?

Thanks again

Teg

Malke

      26th Feb 2005
tegami2 wrote:

> Thanks Malke! It worked! But I also have 2 more questions... When in
> command promt, I could not delete the directory with RMDIR because the
> system was splitting the directory name. I had to delete the file and
> then delete the directory in regular windows. The Command Prompt was
> asking me if I wanted to delete Advanced, System and Optimizer
> separatly but the directory name was "Advanced System Optimizer" with
> normal spacebar spaces in between each word. How can I overcome this?
> And I also heard of a command that you put in the Pc that removes the
> windows standard security feature so you can delete or modify
> everything without going in safe mode. Are you aware of it?

Glad it worked. To delete a file or folder with a name that has spaces
in it, enclose it in quotes like "Advanced System Optimizer".

No, I don't know of any command to remove "standard security feature".
The reason you couldn't delete the file in regular mode was because it
was in use. You can't delete a file in use. The main reason to use Safe
Mode for this purpose is because most third-party software (including
most malware) will not be running.

Malke