Removing Programmes

=?Utf-8?B?RGVu?=

      30th Aug 2006
Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes and updates,
Can I safely remove the old ones?
--
Thanks

Bob I

      30th Aug 2006
Only if you don't want them installed anymore.

Den wrote:

> Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes and updates,
> Can I safely remove the old ones?

Bert Kinney

      30th Aug 2006
Hi Den,

If you uninstall the Hotfix, you will lose the benefits of that patch.
This should only be done for troubleshooting proposes. So the answer to
your question is no.

If you do not want to view these updates, uncheck "show updates" at the
top of the add/remove page.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"Den" wrote
> Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes and
> updates,
> Can I safely remove the old ones?
> --
> Thanks

Rock

      31st Aug 2006
Den wrote:

> Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes and updates,
> Can I safely remove the old ones?

Don't remove the updates but if you want, you can remove the uninstall
directories in the windows folder. They are compressed folders with a
name like $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ where the xxxxxx refers to the knowledge
base number for that update. After the folder is deleted you can remove
the entries in add/remove programs. When removing the entry in
Add/Remove it will give you a message that the update can't be removed
and asks if you want to remove the entry. Click ok. The updates will
still be installed but the entries will be gone. Only do this if you
are sure you won't need to uninstall any of the updates. I wait a month
after the update is applied, and if no problems, I remove the uninstall
directory and it's entry.

Doug Knox has a utility on his site to automate the removal of these
uninstall folders and the entries in Add / Remove programs

http://www.dougknox.com/
Win XP Utilities
Remove Hotfix Backup Files

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ken Blake, MVP

      31st Aug 2006
Den wrote:

> Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes
> and updates, Can I safely remove the old ones?

No.

These are the critical updates (mostly security-oriented) that you've been
downloading all along. Do not remove these, or you will put back the
security exposures they were designed to fix. You can however delete their
backup files. See http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup