removing horizontal error bars in excel 2007 chart

trueblu

      2nd Mar 2008
when using excel 2007, in scatter charts. I can't seem to specify only
y-axis (vertical) error bars. The dialogue box states vertical error bars,
but horizontal ones are also added? Any hints?

Andy Pope

      2nd Mar 2008
Hi,

Unfortunately adding both sets of error bars is how xl2007 currently works.
Once you have the error bars displayed you will need to select the
horizontal error bars and delete them.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Bernard Liengme

      2nd Mar 2008
This seems to be a bug. I added Vertical error bars and got both. I clicked
on one of the Horizontal and remove all with the Delete key.
Let's see if Jon Peltier has this in his list of know charting bugs.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"trueblu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> when using excel 2007, in scatter charts. I can't seem to specify only
> y-axis (vertical) error bars. The dialogue box states vertical error
> bars,
> but horizontal ones are also added? Any hints?

Jon Peltier

      2nd Mar 2008
I do not think this is a bug, per se. I think it is due to the hasty
redesign of the Excel 2007 charting interface. Most chart types only
accommodate Y error bars, so this bit of the interface was fine, until it
was finally tested on an XY chart. The 2003 interface was much more
effective, because you could add whatever error bars you wanted, with
whatever specific values you wanted, in a direct approach.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Bernard Liengme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This seems to be a bug. I added Vertical error bars and got both. I
> clicked on one of the Horizontal and remove all with the Delete key.
> Let's see if Jon Peltier has this in his list of know charting bugs.
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "trueblu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> when using excel 2007, in scatter charts. I can't seem to specify only
>> y-axis (vertical) error bars. The dialogue box states vertical error
>> bars,
>> but horizontal ones are also added? Any hints?

James Barker

      21st Sep 2010
The above comments are correct - you must select and manually remove the horizontal error bars. This can be tricky to do with the mouse, especially if you already have a series of best-fit lines clogging the space.

A useful feature of excel is the selection field. It can be found in the upper-left corner when you have the Layout tab selected under Chart Tools. Have your chart selected, then click in the box (above "Format Selection") and you will find all of the elements of that chart listed for selection. Including x-error bars.