Removeable USB Drive Shows Up As Disconnected Network Drive

=?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?=

      8th Feb 2005
I have a client running Windows XP SP1 who, could not see a USB compact flash
reader, or so they thought.

Upon closer examination I determined that Drive E: appears as a network
drive in My Computer with a type of Disconnected Network Drive. I tried to
disconnect drive E:, but was unable to.

I also found that when I attached the reader, I was able to access it's
contents through the disconnected network drive entry, but the type and
description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but the type
stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E: doesn't
go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't work.

What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

Any help would as always be greatly appreciated.

--
JE

Trent©

      9th Feb 2005
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:21:02 -0800, je7383 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a client running Windows XP SP1 who, could not see a USB compact flash
>reader, or so they thought.
>
>Upon closer examination I determined that Drive E: appears as a network
>drive in My Computer with a type of Disconnected Network Drive. I tried to
>disconnect drive E:, but was unable to.

I'm not sure I understand what yer sayin'. What do you mean you tried
to 'disconnect'. It should be either disconnected...or not.

Did you get an icon on the taskbar to 'safely remove hardware'?

>I also found that when I attached the reader, I was able to access it's
>contents through the disconnected network drive entry, but the type and
>description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but the type
>stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

>Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E: doesn't
>go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't work.

Where is this icon you speak of?

>What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
>recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

I've never seen that happen with a card reader. It simply gets
installed as any other IDE device. When you want to access, you need
to go to it...and click on it.

Have a nice one...

Trent

DJ Borell

      9th Feb 2005
I've never seen this particular scenario before, but this might help:

Open Disk Manager. If the USB drive is showing, change the assigned drive
letter to something other than "E". If this worked, you should now see the
USB device as the drive letter you just assigned it. If you still cannot,
unplug and reinsert the USB device.

This should resolve any issue where a previously mapped network drive is
being assigned the same drive letter as the USB drive, perhaps confusing My
Computer. If it works, you should now be able to completely remove the
network drive map. After a reboot, you should then be able to remap the USB
drive letter to "E" (if you want to.)

If it doesn't, then I guess I'm out of ideas.

"Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:21:02 -0800, je7383 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a client running Windows XP SP1 who, could not see a USB compact
>>flash
>>reader, or so they thought.
>>
>>Upon closer examination I determined that Drive E: appears as a network
>>drive in My Computer with a type of Disconnected Network Drive. I tried to
>>disconnect drive E:, but was unable to.

> I'm not sure I understand what yer sayin'. What do you mean you tried
> to 'disconnect'. It should be either disconnected...or not.
>
> Did you get an icon on the taskbar to 'safely remove hardware'?
>
>>I also found that when I attached the reader, I was able to access it's
>>contents through the disconnected network drive entry, but the type and
>>description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but the
>>type
>>stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

>>Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E:
>>doesn't
>>go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't work.

> Where is this icon you speak of?
>
>>What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
>>recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

> I've never seen that happen with a card reader. It simply gets
> installed as any other IDE device. When you want to access, you need
> to go to it...and click on it.
>

> Have a nice one...
>
> Trent
>
> Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

=?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?=

      9th Feb 2005
The icon that I'm referring to is it's representation in My Computer or
Explorer.
And yes, you'd think that either the drive is connected or disconnected, but
that's not the case in this situation, there in lies my problem.

The description in My Computer says that drive E is a disconnected network
drive, but I can access the LOCAL card reader just by clicking on the drive E
icon. When I create a shortcut to the drive on the desktop, everything comes
up the way it should, i.e. it displays as a removeable drive with the correct
icon associated with it. That is , it shows up correctly on the desktop, but
still shows up as a disconnected network drive, with the network drive icon
type and description, in explorer and My Computer.

Other than displaying incorrectly in Explorer / My Computer and not
automatically opening when inserted, everything appears the way it should. I
can access all of the files on the drive, it shows up correctly in the Safely
Remove Hardware dialog box, it is identified correctly when I look at the
power tab of the root hub, and otherwise works as it should.

It just shows the wrong description and type in My Computer / Explorer, and
the drive does not go away when it is removed. The mapping for E: still
appears in My Computer / Explorer as a disconnected network drive.

Sorry for the confusion.

JE

"Trent)" wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:21:02 -0800, je7383 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a client running Windows XP SP1 who, could not see a USB compact flash
> >reader, or so they thought.
> >
> >Upon closer examination I determined that Drive E: appears as a network
> >drive in My Computer with a type of Disconnected Network Drive. I tried to
> >disconnect drive E:, but was unable to.

> I'm not sure I understand what yer sayin'. What do you mean you tried
> to 'disconnect'. It should be either disconnected...or not.
>
> Did you get an icon on the taskbar to 'safely remove hardware'?
>
> >I also found that when I attached the reader, I was able to access it's
> >contents through the disconnected network drive entry, but the type and
> >description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but the type
> >stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

> >Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E: doesn't
> >go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't work.

> Where is this icon you speak of?
>
> >What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
> >recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

> I've never seen that happen with a card reader. It simply gets
> installed as any other IDE device. When you want to access, you need
> to go to it...and click on it.
>

> Have a nice one...
>
> Trent
>
> Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

Trent©

      10th Feb 2005
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:25:06 -0800, je7383 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The icon that I'm referring to is it's representation in My Computer or
>Explorer.
>And yes, you'd think that either the drive is connected or disconnected, but
>that's not the case in this situation, there in lies my problem.
>
>The description in My Computer says that drive E is a disconnected network
>drive, but I can access the LOCAL card reader just by clicking on the drive E
>icon. When I create a shortcut to the drive on the desktop, everything comes
>up the way it should, i.e. it displays as a removeable drive with the correct
>icon associated with it. That is , it shows up correctly on the desktop, but
>still shows up as a disconnected network drive, with the network drive icon
>type and description, in explorer and My Computer.

Why is this important to you? That's simply the way Windows works
sometimes. Its never been known to be completely accurate! lol

>Other than displaying incorrectly in Explorer / My Computer and not
>automatically opening when inserted, everything appears the way it should.

You mean when inserting a card? Its not supposed to. It works
similar to a floppy drive. All you see is the DRIVE. When you put a
card in, you can read the card...similar to putting a floppy into a
floppy drive.

>can access all of the files on the drive, it shows up correctly in the Safely
>Remove Hardware dialog box, it is identified correctly when I look at the
>power tab of the root hub, and otherwise works as it should.

Whoop!...there it is!!! lol

>It just shows the wrong description and type in My Computer / Explorer, and
>the drive does not go away when it is removed. The mapping for E: still
>appears in My Computer / Explorer as a disconnected network drive.

All that is that way by design.

There is nothing wrong with your set...do not try to adjust the
horizontal...do not try to adjust the vertical...

lol

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

      10th Feb 2005
Hi JE,

Based on my test, I have reproduce the problem.

Here is what I have done and how I fixed the situation after it.

1. Map your the first available driver letter to a network share.

for example, your driver letter lasts to d:, then we create a mapped driver
E: to \\server\share

2. Stop the original file share \\server\share

Now, when try to access the E:, we will get a disconnected network share.

NOTE: we do not attempted to disconnect it here.

3. Plug in the USB flash drive.

By default, the USB flash drive will be installed on the first available
drive letter that is E: here.

From Windows Explorer, you will see nothing changed or added.

4. Type diskmgmt.msc from Start > Run and you will see the new plugged in
USB flash disk installed as driver E: - a removable drive. But I cannot
explorer here. You may change drive letter here to show it.

5. Try to disconnect that E: from Windows Explorer, you will get an error.
Something failed.
NOTE: I have also tested that if we do the disconnect at step 2, it will
work correctly.

For Now, even if we restore the share or unplug the USB flash drive, the E:
refused to be disconnected.

What I have tried to fix it is as the following:

a. Unplug the USB disk.
b. Reshare the original share folder.
c. Go to map driver from Explorer again.
d. Create the map on E: to that \\server\share again.
e. Now, you can disconnect this E:.
f. Everything should be fine again.

I believe this is an issue with disconnected network share and USB device.
I will add it to our internal database. However, since it is not a high
business impacted issue, a fix is not going to be released very soon. I
will try to monitor it and update here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

--------------------
> [...]

>> >description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but

the type
>> >stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

>> >Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E:

doesn't
>> >go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't

work.

>> Where is this icon you speak of?
>>
>> >What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
>> >recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

>> I've never seen that happen with a card reader. It simply gets
>> installed as any other IDE device. When you want to access, you need
>> to go to it...and click on it.
>>

>> Have a nice one...
>>
>> Trent
>>
>> Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

First, It's not important to me. It is however to a client of mine. Some
people aren't as bright as you and like things to work as expected, and get
shook up when they don't. I appreciate your attempt to help, but really, if
you can't help, please don't respond.

Thanks,

JE

"Trent)" wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:25:06 -0800, je7383 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >The icon that I'm referring to is it's representation in My Computer or
> >Explorer.
> >And yes, you'd think that either the drive is connected or disconnected, but
> >that's not the case in this situation, there in lies my problem.
> >
> >The description in My Computer says that drive E is a disconnected network
> >drive, but I can access the LOCAL card reader just by clicking on the drive E
> >icon. When I create a shortcut to the drive on the desktop, everything comes
> >up the way it should, i.e. it displays as a removeable drive with the correct
> >icon associated with it. That is , it shows up correctly on the desktop, but
> >still shows up as a disconnected network drive, with the network drive icon
> >type and description, in explorer and My Computer.

> Why is this important to you? That's simply the way Windows works
> sometimes. Its never been known to be completely accurate! lol
>

> >Other than displaying incorrectly in Explorer / My Computer and not
> >automatically opening when inserted, everything appears the way it should.

> You mean when inserting a card? Its not supposed to. It works
> similar to a floppy drive. All you see is the DRIVE. When you put a
> card in, you can read the card...similar to putting a floppy into a
> floppy drive.

> >can access all of the files on the drive, it shows up correctly in the Safely
> >Remove Hardware dialog box, it is identified correctly when I look at the
> >power tab of the root hub, and otherwise works as it should.

> Whoop!...there it is!!! lol
>

> >It just shows the wrong description and type in My Computer / Explorer, and
> >the drive does not go away when it is removed. The mapping for E: still
> >appears in My Computer / Explorer as a disconnected network drive.

> All that is that way by design.
>
> There is nothing wrong with your set...do not try to adjust the
> horizontal...do not try to adjust the vertical...
>
> lol
>
> Good luck.
>

> Have a nice one...
>
> Trent
>
> Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

=?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?=

      10th Feb 2005
Thanks Jeff. I'll try this as soon as I get back to the client site.

I appreciate your help.

JE

""Jeff Qiu [MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]

> >appears in My Computer / Explorer as a disconnected network drive.
> >
> >Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> >JE
> >
> >"Trent)" wrote:

> flash

> >> I'm not sure I understand what yer sayin'. What do you mean you tried
> >> to 'disconnect'. It should be either disconnected...or not.
> >>
> >> Did you get an icon on the taskbar to 'safely remove hardware'?

> the type

> doesn't

> work.
> >>
> >> Where is this icon you speak of?

> >> I've never seen that happen with a card reader. It simply gets
> >> installed as any other IDE device. When you want to access, you need
> >> to go to it...and click on it.
> >>

> >> Have a nice one...
> >>
> >> Trent
> >>
> >> Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

      11th Feb 2005
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:23:02 -0800, je7383 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>First, It's not important to me. It is however to a client of mine. Some
>people aren't as bright as you and like things to work as expected, and get
>shook up when they don't. I appreciate your attempt to help, but really, if
>you can't help, please don't respond.
>
>Thanks,
>
>JE

I didn't realize I was irritating you...sorry.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

      11th Feb 2005
You are welcome!

Any updates, post back.

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

--------------------

>Thanks Jeff. I'll try this as soon as I get back to the client site.
>
>I appreciate your help.
>
>JE
>
>""Jeff Qiu [MSFT]"" wrote:
>
>> Hi JE,
>>
>> Based on my test, I have reproduce the problem.
>>
>> Here is what I have done and how I fixed the situation after it.
>>
>> 1. Map your the first available driver letter to a network share.
>>
>> for example, your driver letter lasts to d:, then we create a mapped

driver
>> E: to \\server\share
>>
>> 2. Stop the original file share \\server\share
>>
>> Now, when try to access the E:, we will get a disconnected network share.
>>
>> NOTE: we do not attempted to disconnect it here.
>>
>> 3. Plug in the USB flash drive.
>>
>> By default, the USB flash drive will be installed on the first available
>> drive letter that is E: here.
>>
>> From Windows Explorer, you will see nothing changed or added.
>>
>> 4. Type diskmgmt.msc from Start > Run and you will see the new plugged

in
>> USB flash disk installed as driver E: - a removable drive. But I cannot
>> explorer here. You may change drive letter here to show it.
>>
>> 5. Try to disconnect that E: from Windows Explorer, you will get an

error.
>> Something failed.
>> NOTE: I have also tested that if we do the disconnect at step 2, it will
>> work correctly.
>>
>> For Now, even if we restore the share or unplug the USB flash drive, the

E:
>> refused to be disconnected.
>>
>> What I have tried to fix it is as the following:
>>
>> a. Unplug the USB disk.
>> b. Reshare the original share folder.
>> c. Go to map driver from Explorer again.
>> d. Create the map on E: to that \\server\share again.
>> e. Now, you can disconnect this E:.
>> f. Everything should be fine again.
>>
>> I believe this is an issue with disconnected network share and USB

device.
>> I will add it to our internal database. However, since it is not a high
>> business impacted issue, a fix is not going to be released very soon. I
>> will try to monitor it and update here as soon as possible.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Jeff Qiu
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

rights.

Drive