How to remove system menu and title bar

Bill Murphy

      25th Jul 2007
In an application I have a main form that is tabbed. The system menu does
not appear, and this is what I would like. But when I open a report in
preview mode from within the application the system menu does appear . What
visual basic code is needed to suppress the system menu in report preview?

Also, when in the tabbed form the application title bar does appear, and
does not contain a minimize, maximize or close button. Again this is what I
prefer. However, the title bar in report preview does contain each of these
buttons. What code is needed to hide or remove them?

Bill

OldPro

      26th Jul 2007
On Jul 25, 5:34 pm, "Bill Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In an application I have a main form that is tabbed. The system menu does
> not appear, and this is what I would like. But when I open a report in
> preview mode from within the application the system menu does appear . What
> visual basic code is needed to suppress the system menu in report preview?
>
> Also, when in the tabbed form the application title bar does appear, and
> does not contain a minimize, maximize or close button. Again this is what I
> prefer. However, the title bar in report preview does contain each of these
> buttons. What code is needed to hide or remove them?
>
> Bill

Your problems stem from the fact that reports are neither popup nor
modal. The menu can be removed, however. Put the appropriate code in
the open and close events of the report:
Application.CommandBars("MainMenu").Visible = False

Bill Murphy

      26th Jul 2007
I tried this code but got a runtime error 5, "Invalid procedure call or
argument". I tried "Menu Bar" as the name instead of "MainMenu" and got a
different error "Method visible of 'commandbar' failed".

Any further suggestions on this?

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Jul 26, 9:34 am, "Bill Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I tried this code but got a runtime error 5, "Invalid procedure call or
> argument". I tried "Menu Bar" as the name instead of "MainMenu" and got a
> different error "Method visible of 'commandbar' failed".
>
> Any further suggestions on this?
>
> Bill
>
> "OldPro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Jul 25, 5:34 pm, "Bill Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> In an application I have a main form that is tabbed. The system menu
> >> does
> >> not appear, and this is what I would like. But when I open a report in
> >> preview mode from within the application the system menu does appear .
> >> What
> >> visual basic code is needed to suppress the system menu in report
> >> preview?

> >> Also, when in the tabbed form the application title bar does appear, and
> >> does not contain a minimize, maximize or close button. Again this is
> >> what I
> >> prefer. However, the title bar in report preview does contain each of
> >> these
> >> buttons. What code is needed to hide or remove them?

> >> Bill

> > Your problems stem from the fact that reports are neither popup nor
> > modal. The menu can be removed, however. Put the appropriate code in
> > the open and close events of the report:
> > Application.CommandBars("MainMenu").Visible = False- Hide quoted text -

That was just an example. If you don't know the name of your main
menu, then perhaps you haven't made one. To get rid of the default
menu, try setting the form's MenuBar property to =1 . Usually it is
better to replace the default menu with your own custom menu.

Bill Murphy

      26th Jul 2007
I used the -1 in my report and that worked well. It just left a report icon
on the menu line, and the user can only use this to minimize, maximize or
close the report.

My other question below relates to the blue title bar at top of screen when
in report preview. Currently if the user clicks on the X close button in
the upper right it attempts to close the application. This does not work
well since in this process it can't find my frmMain, and displays an error
message. Is there a way to hide the close button, or to give it enough
information to close down the application gracefully?

Bill

"OldPro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jul 26, 9:34 am, "Bill Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I tried this code but got a runtime error 5, "Invalid procedure call or
>> argument". I tried "Menu Bar" as the name instead of "MainMenu" and got
>> different error "Method visible of 'commandbar' failed".
>>
>> Any further suggestions on this?
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> "OldPro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Your problems stem from the fact that reports are neither popup nor
>> > modal. The menu can be removed, however. Put the appropriate code in
>> > the open and close events of the report:
>> > Application.CommandBars("MainMenu").Visible = False- Hide quoted text -

> That was just an example. If you don't know the name of your main
> menu, then perhaps you haven't made one. To get rid of the default
> menu, try setting the form's MenuBar property to =1 . Usually it is
> better to replace the default menu with your own custom menu.

=?Utf-8?B?Umljb3ktQ2hpY2Fnbw==?=

      27th Jul 2007
Did you try to code the [On Close] event (report properties) to either open
your main screen or quit application?

I have a similar problem to Bill's...

Evertyhing work but when I run a simulation as what a user is supposed to
do. When a form opens, the name of the form shown in the Blue title bar. Is
there a way to hide the blue title bar? I have hidden the command and
toolbars already.

"Bill Murphy" wrote:

> I used the -1 in my report and that worked well. It just left a report icon
> on the menu line, and the user can only use this to minimize, maximize or
> close the report.
>
> My other question below relates to the blue title bar at top of screen when
> in report preview. Currently if the user clicks on the X close button in
> the upper right it attempts to close the application. This does not work
> well since in this process it can't find my frmMain, and displays an error
> message. Is there a way to hide the close button, or to give it enough
> information to close down the application gracefully?
>
> Bill
>
> "OldPro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Jul 26, 9:34 am, "Bill Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I tried this code but got a runtime error 5, "Invalid procedure call or
> >> argument". I tried "Menu Bar" as the name instead of "MainMenu" and got
> >> different error "Method visible of 'commandbar' failed".
> >>
> >> Any further suggestions on this?
> >>
> >> Bill
> >>
> >> "OldPro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > That was just an example. If you don't know the name of your main
> > menu, then perhaps you haven't made one. To get rid of the default
> > menu, try setting the form's MenuBar property to =1 . Usually it is
> > better to replace the default menu with your own custom menu.

Bill Murphy

      27th Jul 2007
I believe the close button (X) on the title bar that is visible when in
report review mode must relate to the entire application. If the user
clicks this it must be executing a quit command. I'd like to hide this and
only allow the user to close the application using a command button in my
main form.

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...