How to remove "Empty" folders

      23rd Dec 2006
My Program Files contain several folders that say "Folder is empty." One
might think that I could delete these folders, but Windows refuses to do so,
saying "Access is denied." Since I am the sole user of this computer, it
would seem to me that I should be able to delete any folder on
demand--especially one that's empty.

What can I do?

Norm Strong

Poprivet

      23rd Dec 2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My Program Files contain several folders that say "Folder is empty." One
> might think that I could delete these folders, but Windows
> refuses to do so, saying "Access is denied." Since I am the sole
> user of this computer, it would seem to me that I should be able to
> delete any folder on demand--especially one that's empty.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Norm Strong

If they are folders you created, you should be able to delete them. But,
and I suspect this is your case, if they are folders that XP created, you
cannot delete them. They are there for uses you may not realize or
understand at this time.

What are some of the names, and why do you want to delete them?

Try booting into Safe Mode and delete them from there. If they're simple
leftovers from uninstalls, this may allow you to delete them. Don't empty
the recycle bin right away though; Reboot a couple times and be sure no
error messages are created by deleting them. There could be hidden files
there that you aren't aware of.

I'd beware of deleting things you don't understand. Time and experience
will help you figure out a lot of it.

Pop`

RobertVA

      23rd Dec 2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My Program Files contain several folders that say "Folder is empty." One
> might think that I could delete these folders, but Windows refuses to do so,
> saying "Access is denied." Since I am the sole user of this computer, it
> would seem to me that I should be able to delete any folder on
> demand--especially one that's empty.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Norm Strong

CAUTION: Don't go deleting folders under "Program Files" without using
the Windows "Add / Remove Programs" function or the application
publisher's Uninstall program first! Even then you are working without
the normal protective code and face at least SOME risk of corrupting
your operating system. If you are worried about free space on your hard
drive, deleting a few empty folders that aren't in the root isn't going
to recover a noticeable amount of space. "If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX
IT!!!". It's safer to leave the empties there.

Have you tried deleting the unwanted folders in safe mode?