How to remove COM ports

=?Utf-8?B?b2NzMTAwNw==?=

      8th May 2005
Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every time
bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.

Thanks,
OCS1007

Jerry

      8th May 2005
Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove all instances of COM ports
you find, reboot, and Windows should re-detect and list however many you
really have.

"ocs1007" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every
> time
> bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
> COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.
>

> Thanks,
> OCS1007

Si Ballenger

      8th May 2005

>"ocs1007" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every
>> time
>> bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
>> COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.

The below link might be of interest. XP has a problem with USB
serial devices causing the incrementing numbers each time the
device is installed. I've fixed this by going to the advanced
section of the comport propertys for the USB device and
reassigning the device to the desired com port number. Pick a
comport number that you know isn't being used, such as 5, and
then assign the bluetooth device to this com port. Windows will
say it is already in use, but ignore this and make the
assignment. From then on the USB device should use that
particular comport when it is installed.

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/xptip.asp