PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Remove "autoupdate" from tray

 
 
William Hymen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Mar 2004
I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
to remove the service wuauserv ?

Thanks in advance-

Bill


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Torgeir Bakken (MVP)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Mar 2004
William Hymen wrote:

> I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
> from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
> to remove the service wuauserv ?


Hi

Removing the wuauserv service is maybe a bit strong, what if you later
on want to start to use MS SUS (your own internal Automatic Windows
Update server). I suggest you only disable the service.


--
torgeir
Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page
Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...r/default.mspx


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
William Hymen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Mar 2004

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> William Hymen wrote:
>
> > I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
> > from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
> > to remove the service wuauserv ?

>
> Hi
>
> Removing the wuauserv service is maybe a bit strong, what if you later
> on want to start to use MS SUS (your own internal Automatic Windows
> Update server). I suggest you only disable the service.


Yes. That is what I decided to do.
For some reason, I overlooked the obvious !

Thanks.

>
>
> --
> torgeir
> Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page
> Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...r/default.mspx
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Brown - Process Manager
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Mar 2004

"William Hymen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:67P2c.5323$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > William Hymen wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
> > > from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
> > > to remove the service wuauserv ?

> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Removing the wuauserv service is maybe a bit strong, what if you later
> > on want to start to use MS SUS (your own internal Automatic Windows
> > Update server). I suggest you only disable the service.

>
> Yes. That is what I decided to do.
> For some reason, I overlooked the obvious !
>


The long way around:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Automatic Updates
Uncheck "Keep my computer up to date"

I wouldn't want to do this for 1000 workstations, but it works fine for one,
specifically my database server that chokes on SP4


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remove Express Edition Tray icon from System Tray,... Kerem Gümrükcü Microsoft VB .NET 1 2nd Oct 2008 08:51 PM
Remove Express Edition Tray icon from System Tray,... Kerem Gümrükcü Microsoft VC .NET 1 2nd Oct 2008 05:53 PM
Remove Express Edition Tray icon from System Tray,... Kerem Gümrükcü Microsoft Dot NET Framework 0 2nd Oct 2008 05:24 PM
Remove Express Edition Tray icon from System Tray,... Kerem Gümrükcü Microsoft C# .NET 0 2nd Oct 2008 05:24 PM
Can I remove the Safely Remove Hardware Icon from my tray plus net Windows XP Hardware 4 23rd Apr 2004 12:01 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06 PM.